I suppose to assume the user is fluent in language of the item would be sound
if to use the item does need a good command of the language, as in cases of
classic in the original. While if the item can also be useful by someone
without good command of the language, the reverse would be true.

A summary note, particularly when lengthy, is sort of a freely transcribed
table of contents, on the other hand it can be no more than a brief general
note. Table of contents is always in language of the text, on the other hand, a
general note is always in the language of cataloging.

So I think if a note exists, and is applicable, I would leave it alone, and to
construct a note, I would stop where I'm competent to do, to provide one
lengthy or brief, in either or both languages.

Jack

Jack Wu
Franciscan University of Steubenville
j...@franciscan.edu

>>> "J. McRee Elrod" <m...@slc.bc.ca> 10/10/2013 6:55 PM >>>
Kevin said:

>But that is making the assumption that the person using the catalog
>to find the item is fluent in the language of the item.

More common in my experience is someone looking for an item in his/her
first languge, and having difficulty with English.  That's why we add
RVM and Bilendix subject headings to records for French and Spanish
materials. I understood some US libraries were doing that now?

   __    __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod (m...@slc.bc.ca)

Scanned by for virus, malware and spam by SCM appliance