You need to provide a more specific query. *CCCC is very generic and hits
everything in the molecule except the sulfur and the imidazole. I am not
sure about 17 hits but I can count at least 15. This is the default
behaviour in every toolkit, by the way.

You should try the SMARTS tester from Daylight to visualise your
substructure matches
http://www.daylight.com/daycgi_tutorials/depictmatch.cgi

Adrian