Greetings Chris,

I used to do a lot of solar thermal installations and rehabs on older
systems.  I tried not to use elastomeric type pipe insulation (such as
Armacell/Armaflex and Rubatex Insul-Tube 180) outdoors, because of all
the unsightly and deterioration issues I observed on air conditioning
and refrigeration installations.  When I did need to use the
elastomeric type pipe insulation outdoors I coated it with the
specific manufacturer supplied UV resistant paint product.  I
pre-painted the lengths to be used before installation and then
touched up with more paint as needed once installed.

My preferred outdoor exposed-run pipe insulation is extruded rigid
urethane jacketed with either UV rated PVC or aluminum
jackets/sheathes.  The extruded rigid urethane insulation was
available in straight lengths as well as 45° and 90° elbows.  All was
available split in halves for ease of installation.  The PVC
jackets/sheathes were also available in 45° and 90° elbows.  I would
secure the insulation in place with a ripstop tape strip product and
then install the jacket/sheathe over it.  Thermocouple/sensor wires
and tray cable for PV direct powered pumps could be hidden between the
insulation and outer jacket/sheath.  I have tried a number of methods
for securing and closing the PVC jackets/sheathes; glue/cement,
stainless steel tacks, aluminum tacks, aluminum rivets.  The push in
tacks with serrated shank and white flat heads were decent for a
while, but I had the best long term success with rivets.  They took a
little longer to install and need to be cut or drilled out for service
access to the pipe, but held well for the long term and helped create
the best aesthetic installation.  I have also used the PVC and
aluminum jackets/sheathes over elastomeric insulation products with
the same method for closing and securing the jacket/sheath.

The majority of my solar thermal installs were in the Northeast U.S.
and the PVC jacket/sheath over extruded rigid urethane pipe insulation
installs are expected to last and look decent for 10-20 years before
requiring rework.  Having rehabbed systems which were 20-30+ years old
I know the PVC jacket/sheath and insulation degrade and breakdown with
heat and Sunlight over time.  I expect the functional and
aesthetically acceptable lifetime of the jacket/sheath and insulation
is likely much less in regions with exposure to higher prolonged
ambient temperatures and greater Sun/UV intensity over time.  I
believe different jacket/sheath mil thickness is available, with the
thicker mil products being more suitable for harsher environments.

Best regards,

----MATT

Matthew Sirum
P.O. Box 1227
Greenfield, MA 01302-1227  USA
phone: +1.413.773.0611
email: matthewsi...@gmail.com

----------   Original Message Below   ----------

[RE-wrenches] Outdoor rated insulation covering for Solar Water Heating Systems

cwarfel cwarfel at entech-engineering.com
Fri Nov 3 08:06:58 PDT 2017

I would like to add a covering to the Armorflex insulation we installed
on a solar water heating system. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer's
product that a reasonably competent person can install?  Right now we
have wrapped the insulation in UV resistant tape, but it doesn't look
all that great.  Thank you, Chris

--
Christopher Warfel, PE
Entech Engineering, Inc.