I thinkthis problem is really only "solved" by using the coverings suggested, especially it seems, aluminum jacketing.  I will be going off island in a week and I will have the chance to go to a store that sells these products. I am hoping to put this system into HomePower, so, this will be part of the article. Thanks for everyone's responses. I hopefully responded to everyone off line. Stay tuned.  Chris

On 11/6/2017 4:57 PM, solar1onl...@charter.net wrote:
Hi Chris, Your question certainly generated a number of responses. While the field applied covering I mentioned certainly peeled off and had the consistency of latex paint, I did _not_ perform an analysis. There is outdoor latex paint which should have UV inhibitors, so perhaps it really was latex. The original owner is gone, so no help there but a paint manufacturer may be able to verify latex paint as an inexpensive _and effective_ covering solution. What made this solution stand out in my mind so well was the flex roof flashings, which when unprotected become brittle (and useless) oftentimes before the ten year mark. This painted flashing was just as flexible as a new unit and as you are well aware, replacing a solar flashing is way more involved than a plumbing flashing. I am aware of many manufacturers that rebrand/repackage a common item as a solution for a very specific problem and charge an outlandish premium for the common item in a shiny package (sometimes not even a shiny package). Bill

From: "cwarfel"
Sent: 06-Nov-2017 13:01:11 +0000
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Outdoor rated insulation covering for Solar Water Heating Systems

Hi Bill, thanks. I did not think latex would hold up anywhere near that long.  Chris

On 11/4/2017 9:13 AM, solar1onl...@charter.net wrote:

    Chris,

    The fitted covers certainly provide a more finished appearance. One of
    my customers painted the insulation (w/o fitted covers) with latex
    paint and after 30+ years the insulation was still quite flexible. My
    take away was simply that eliminating the sun (UV) effects paid off
    big time. As I remember they used white paint.

    Best wishes,

    Bill Loesch
    Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
    314 631 1094