From: RE-wrenches [mailto:re-wrenches-boun...@lists.re-wrenches.org] On Behalf
Of Mike Kocsmiersky
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2017 12:55 PM
To: solar1onl...@charter.net; 'glenn.b...@glbcc.com, RE-wrenches'
<re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org>
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Outdoor rated insulation covering for Solar Water
Heating Systems

I see this often as a shortcoming of solar thermal installations, the lack of
UV protection on the insulation.  You see it all the time with HVAC equipment.
The most economical is the PVC wrap.  I suggest using white vs the
architectural brown whereas the white is more UV resistant.  It can be tricky
trying to cover rubber insulated foam trying to get it to look nice, whereas a
rigid insulation is a bit easier.  Nonetheless would also suggest using barbed
tacks to keep the PVC jacketing secure, the adhesive strip, if it has any, will
not suffice.  Other options may include metal jacketed insulation (costly) or
UV protection on some of the newer linesets.  Painting the PVC with spray paint
to change the color I have had good success with.

Mike Kocsmiersky
PV Inspections
(413) 734-1456