From: Ray <r...@solarray.com>
Date: 4/19/18  1:05 PM  (GMT-10:00)
To: re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] Looking for insulated #6 bare standoff

On tracking arrays,  I have had both solid and stranded copper ground
wire strain harden and break.  The cyclical motion will slowly work away
at coarse cables. I've even seen solid #6 break off on just a tilt
adjustable array. I now use a braided ground strap at least for the rack
to pole ground connection.  This is the same strap that is used to
ground generators and other moving electrical equipment.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Ground-Straps/p_818655.h_818654

I isolate it at the connection to the aluminum with a sandwich of
Stainless fender washers and a 1/4" bolt with toothed lock washer to
bite into the AL, or it also works well folded in ground Lugs and buss
bars. You can open up the weave of the braided copper in the middle to
get the 1/4" bolt through.  I've checked these years later: no
corrosion, wire not broken off at the connector.

Ray

On 4/19/18 3:48 PM, Dana wrote:
> The bare #8 is an EGC for #10 USE PV wire on the tracker to the array mounted
> combiner box.

> Dana Orzel                              Great Solar Works, Inc.
> C - 208.721.7003                       d...@solarwork.com
> Idaho Contractor - # 028765         Idaho PV # 028374
> NABCEP # 051112-136                       www.solarwork.biz
> "Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"
>  Please consider the environment before printing this email.

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

List rules & etiquette: