I discovered the issue I believe, so I thought I'd update all of you who
gave me ideas on what to look for (thank you).

And this is something that I stress the importance of all the time...

The branch circuit pairs were not properly paired up! All of the L1
conductors went to L1 on the bus and all of the L2 to L2. However, for
example, circuit 1 L1 and circuit 2 L2 were on a single 2-pole breaker. And
circuit 2 L1 and circuit 1 L2 were on another breaker. Everything worked
because it was electrically connected to the right bus bar. However, when
there was a previous fault one of the breakers probably didn't trip when it
should have as a result of the improper pairings. It was reset a few times
and just kept heating up and heating up.

This isn't conclusive, but it sure makes sense. It wasn't fun tracking this
down with 5 strings and 5 junction boxes on the roof, but once we started
continuity testing and finding strange results, it became clear.

Jason Szumlanski