Since I only work with off-grid systems, I find the 690.12 exception
starting in NEC 2017 for ground-mounted systems with DC equipment in a
separate structure intended only for PV components, is very useful for
avoiding expensive, unneeded RSS equipment. Many folks don't like the idea
of a battery bank and buzzing equipment and fans in their dwelling anyway,
so the "power shed" idea works well, and around here structures 120 square
feet and under don't need building permits. I did see one system pass with
3 PV modules on the roof of the power shed, though technically that's not
part of the 690.12 exception.

Dan Fink
Owner, Buckville Energy Consulting
NABCEP Certified PV System Inspector
IREC Certified Instructorâ„¢ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers
d <dan.f...@greendustrialtraining.com>anbo...@gmail.com