Many of these issues also were solved with an inverter that had gen
support or load shave.

Time for a new inverter or a generator that is
twice the load wattage. This was common back in the day and as Steve said,
some cases just can't be fixed. Another reason many have abandoned 12v
inverter/chargers except for RV use.

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go
where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/ [1]
e-mail
offgridso...@sti.net [2]
text 209 813 0060

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 10:54:11
-0700, Steve Higgins  wrote:  Wrenches,

When the inverter charger charges
the battery bank and runs loads this can affect the harmonics of the
generator output.

Not much you can do about it other than putting in a
larger generator to handle the inverter/charging load along with the loads
of the system, and even in some of those cases depending on the generator
dosn't even fix that.

I have seen some successful with filter caps on the
output / Input of the inverter, but that is pretty hit an miss..

Steve Higgins ⋅ Technical Services Manager  t +1.902.597.4020 m
+1.206.790.5840 f +1.902.597.8447 e st...@surrette.com [4]

-------------------------
 BECOME A CERTIFIED PV PROFESSIONAL. REGISTER
FOR NABCEP CEC 2020 [10] USING PROMO CODE 20RBE [11]

-------------------------
 CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted
herein is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review,
distribution or other use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and all copies.

-------------------------

  On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:42 AM Will White
wrote:  I've seen that same issue too. I assumed that the battery charging,
house base loads, and the microwave were too much power for the small
generator. The voltage drops big time which I assume is what was causing
the issue with the microwave and most likely with the dryer too.
  On
Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 11:51 AM Dan Fink  wrote:  I have the same problem at
my place, and a couple client's systems, with Magnum inverter/chargers and
small ~2-3kw generators (not just Honda). But the problem appliance is
microwave ovens, doesn't matter which microwave brand. They run fine
straight from the generator, and fine from the inverter with no generator
running, but make a strange, loud hum, dim internal light, and food doesn't
heat if the generator is also charging the battery bank. I'll try to figure
out how to capture a waveform photo with my scopemeter and post it.

    Dan Fink  Executive Director, Buckville Energy Consulting NABCEP PV
Associate
 NABCEP Certified PV System Inspector IREC Certified
Instructor(tm) for:  ~ PV Installation Professional ~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers d [14]anbo...@gmail.com
[15] 970-672-4342

  On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 9:37 AM Kent Osterberg
wrote:  Matt,

 I haven't looked at what the FXR does to the waveform of a
3000-watt Honda, but I have used an oscilloscope to look at the waveform of
a small generator while an FX inverter is charging batteries -- it pretty
much makes an ugly mess of the voltage waveform. Not surprised to hear that
some loads don't like to operate when the FXR is charging batteries from a
small generator. The FX charger has a poor power factor and little
filtering of the current waveform, it is a tough load on a small generator.
The generator responds with lots of harmonic voltages and high frequency
noise.

 Kent Osterberg
 Blue Mountain Solar

 On 8/15/2020 8:06 AM, Matt
Sherald wrote:   Hello All,   My curiosity was piqued by a recent customer
complaint. I'm hoping someone has bumped up against this issue before.
The customer has a OB FXR2812 and a 3,000W Honda gen.  Her gas clothes
dryer runs just fine off the OB inverter. It runs properly on the Honda gen
(when the inverter is bypassed) It will not run when the gen is on and
battery charging is taking place.   All the other AC loads (including the
washing machine) run properly during battery charging with the gen. The OB
inverter replaced an old Trace unit. The dryer worked as it should with the
Trace during battery charging.   Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
 --
     Matt Sherald PIMBY Energy, LLC NABCEP
Certified Solar PV Installer(R) 304-704-5943

Alliance

List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org [19]

Change
listserver email address &
settings:
[20]

[21]

List rules & etiquette:
www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm [22]

Check
out or update participant bios:
www.members.re-wrenches.org [23]

Alliance

 List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org [24]

 Change
listserver email address & settings:

http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org [25]

List rules & etiquette:
 www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm [27]

 Check out
or update participant bios:
 www.members.re-wrenches.org [28]

Alliance

 List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org [29]

 Change
listserver email address & settings:

http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org [30]

List rules ">Curriculum Developer   e: w...@solarenergy.org [34]   w:
www.solarenergy.org [35]  p: 802-272-3092    NABCEP Certified PV
Installation Professional # 093006-34  Do you envision a world powered by
renewable energy? Be the change [36].
Alliance

 List Address: RE-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org [37]

 Change