We've had several of these over the last two decades and they can be
annoying and difficult to remedy.  I think the underlying home construction
is usually the cause.  Either the structure has some weaknesses or
discontinuities as mentioned above, or sheathing was attached while the
rafters were still wet, or the sheathing was damp when the roofing went
on, etc.  Then all the wood starts to gradually dry out.
Our general solution is to go back, hopefully during a dry, mid-temperature
mid-humidity day and take off the modules, loosen all the nuts and bolts
and re-tighten the rack and install the array.  In some cases we have
installed locknuts with teflon washers between L-feet and rail to allow a
little lateral movement.  After doing all this rework, we rarely get
further callbacks.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:03 PM Nick Soleil <nsol...@enphaseenergy.com>
wrote:

> I had a similar experience 13 years ago on a house that had an addition
> built onto it.  The array spanned between the original home and the
> addition, and the structure would creak in the evening as the aluminum
> racking and modules cooled.  The creaking was a result of weaknesses in the
> structure, but I fixed the issue by splitting the array where the two
> structures met.  It wasn't a very easy fix, but it did resolve the issue.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Nick Soleil
>
> Enphase Energy Senior Product Manager
>
> (707) 763-4784 x7267  // office
>
> (707) 321-2937  // cell
>
> *Powering What’s Next*™* | *The Enphase Energy Management System
> <https://enphase.com/en-us/products-and-services/envoy>
>
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer #03262011-300
>
> California C10 Licensed Electrician #986315

*Jeff Irish* <https://www.mypronouns.org/> | PE, Vice President
SunCommon.com <https://suncommon.com/> | *Main: *845-876-3767
13 Hook Road, Rhinebeck, NY 12572
<https://suncommon.com/work-at-suncommon/>
SunCommon believes that everyone has the right to a healthy environment and
brighter future—and renewable energy is where it starts. Energy from the
sun can power our lives and build vibrant communities. Our mission is to
tear down barriers to clean energy and use our business as a force for
good.