In Florida, the AHJ is required to cite the section of code when rejecting
work. I always ask for that if rejected. I'm not sure how things work in NY.

You might start with 690.31(C)(1) that allows PV wire to be exposed within
the PV array. The array boundary is defined elsewhere as within 1 ft of the
array in all directions, although that pertains to rapid shutdown
specifically.

You're right - you might just remove the PVC and ask them how it doesn't
comply then, considering you only have to support it at 4.5 ft intervals.

Jason Szumlanski
Florida Solar Design Group