>From his Mikko Alaluusuas earlier post about his work this sprint. Hopefully
this can be somehow fixed so old worlds can be viewed also with nicer
shadows.
Would be a shame to enforce this to all rex users that have already content
out there. We will hear more later how it goes :)

Hi all,

my task for this sprint is to improve the shadow quality in Naali and also
improve the hovering widgets.

The hovering widgets need a visual update as well as some fixes to resizing
etc.

The new shadowing algorithm forces a slight change for the content creators.
As we now need 3 depthmaps in the shaders, you need to specify them in the
material script. This is easy, just add 2 more texture_units with
content_type shadow (you propably already have one if the material is
supposed to receive shadows). The exporter from blender to ogre only
specifies 1 at the moment, but It will propably be changed after release.
There is propably going to be a configuration to allow the user to specify
the shadowmap size.

Here's some pics of the shadows:

Old ones: http://img33.imageshack.us/i/shadold.jpg/
PSSM sharp: http://img257.imageshack.us/i/shadnew.jpg/
PSSM with depthmap blur:
http://img171.imageshack.us/i/viewer2010060810015892.png/

Naali's trunk now has the blurred version of the shadows, but it can be
easily changed back to sharper version.

Best regards,
Jonne Nauha
realXtend developer