Peter Steinlechner kirjoitti:
but im not sure if that helps in my case, would that mean that the avatar material needs an update too, or the terrain textures ? As better visible on this screenshot, the avatar doesnt cast any shadow on the ground.

I understood that the backwards compatibility code in Naali git develop now makes it so that all old shadow-receiving materials work without any changes. But the 0.2.3 release didn't have this code yet.

~Toni

Maybe a material converter might be a soon required help, as i assume that most available ogre exporters might have the same issue like the blender exporter, and manualy editing a few hundered materials ould easy take out the fun.

Cheers
Peter

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Toni Alatalo <ant...@kyperjokki.fi <mailto:ant...@kyperjokki.fi>> wrote:

    Jonne Nauha kirjoitti:

        >From his Mikko Alaluusuas earlier post about his work this
        sprint. Hopefully this can be somehow fixed so old worlds can
        be viewed also with nicer shadows.
        Would be a shame to enforce this to all rex users that have
        already content out there. We will hear more later how it goes :)

    He committed an attempt at backwards compatibility for old
    shadow-receiving materials in the afternoon and in my quick test
    it seemed to work. The code creates the missing passes when the
    material doesn't have them or so. Dunno if we should make another
    quickfix release with this on, or if it's ok for ppl to wait for
    next time based one in some weeks.

    ~Toni

           Hi all,

           my task for this sprint is to improve the shadow quality in
        Naali
           and also improve the hovering widgets.
           The hovering widgets need a visual update as well as some
        fixes to
           resizing etc.

           The new shadowing algorithm forces a slight change for the
        content
           creators. As we now need 3 depthmaps in the shaders, you
        need to
           specify them in the material script. This is easy, just add
        2 more
           texture_units with content_type shadow (you propably
        already have
           one if the material is supposed to receive shadows). The
        exporter
           from blender to ogre only specifies 1 at the moment, but It
        will
           propably be changed after release. There is propably going
        to be a
           configuration to allow the user to specify the shadowmap size.
           Here's some pics of the shadows:

           Old ones: http://img33.imageshack.us/i/shadold.jpg/
           PSSM sharp: http://img257.imageshack.us/i/shadnew.jpg/
           PSSM with depthmap
           blur: http://img171.imageshack.us/i/viewer2010060810015892.png/

           Naali's trunk now has the blurred version of the shadows,
        but it
           can be easily changed back to sharper version.

        Best regards,
        Jonne Nauha
        realXtend developer

        http://www.realxtend.org/
        http://www.evocativi.com/

        2010/6/9 Antti Ilomäki <antti.ilom...@gmail.com
        <mailto:antti.ilom...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:antti.ilom...@gmail.com
        <mailto:antti.ilom...@gmail.com>>>

           I believe it's an issue with the shaders and the new shadows.
           Someone's already looking into possible backwards
        compatibility.

           2010/6/9 Peter Steinlechner <psteinlech...@gmail.com
        <mailto:psteinlech...@gmail.com>
           <mailto:psteinlech...@gmail.com
        <mailto:psteinlech...@gmail.com>>>

               Greetings

               My First Impressions: it looks great - now also the
        teleport
               to different regions works fine. (on naali 0.2.2 it alays
               ended with a black viewer screen)

               But somehow the shadows are gone on my machine at least, as
               you can see in the screenshot. Maybe its a local
        graphics issue ?

               Hardware:
               i7 720 CPU
               nvidia GTX285 with 1GB dedicated memory

               2010/6/9 Antti Ilomäki <antti.ilom...@gmail.com
        <mailto:antti.ilom...@gmail.com>
               <mailto:antti.ilom...@gmail.com
        <mailto:antti.ilom...@gmail.com>>>

                   Greetings everyone!

                   Naali 0.2.3 is now available for download here:
                   http://code.google.com/p/realxtend-naali/downloads/list

                   There are numerous improvements especially for content
                   creators this time; Naali now supports other texture
                   formats besides j2k, EC editor is coming along
        nicely and
                   Media URLs work properly on prims. Several bugs
        have also
                   been dealt with, shadows improved and Python API
        upgraded.
                   For a full list of changes and other info check out the
                   changlelog here:
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Getting_Started_with_Naali#Changelog_and_History

                   A new version of Taiga should also be available
        shortly.
                   --             http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend
                   http://www.realxtend.org