On ma, 2011-01-17 at 20:52 -0800, Edgar Santos wrote:
> Actually I managed to do it via importing an ogre scene. There were
> some problems but one of the most dificult ones to detect was that the
> textures in the material file ended in capital ".JPG" instead of
> ".jpg".

Oops. Is this in the modrex server side importer, or all over?
Definitely a bug to fix.

> About the world building mode, I know that each slot is for a material
> but the problem is which order to put them!

Right - the slots don't have names of anything like that in Ogre (nor
e.g. Blender), they are just a list. When bringing from Blender (and I
supposed the same applies for Max and Maya), we can check from the UI in
there which material index is which.

This can indeed be a problem with Sketchup if it doesn't tell you that.

> Anyways, i could do it via "scene importing" so it is ok i guess. I
> still think you should write some tutorial or something to help other
> people do it, since they need to write (a rather simple) scene file ;)

Yep certainly much better to bring the material assignments
automatically.

A correction to my previous mail: it wasn't last week, but actually
already 2 months ago or so when importing local mesh files with
automatic assigning of the material refs, and texture refs in the
material, was implemented in the development version. So it is included
in the Tundra 1.0 preview pre-release from December. You can test if
that works for you: just run server.exe to get an empty scene (you see
just white), and drag&drop a mesh from your filesystem to the
Naali/Tundra window. There is one limitation when importing a single
mesh: the material for it must be defined in a file that has one
material only. You can do the same drag&drop with .scene files in
Tundra, and that supports reading multiple materials from a single
material file like current Naali releases and Taiga (opensim+modrex) do
too. Unlike the Linden protocol, Tundra works so that the client side
can also create entities, so when connected to a server such drag&drop
to import a mesh is synched among all participants and separate publish
step is not needed.

So if we get that new technique to use for all of you, that workaround
of making a .scene for a single .mesh is not needed anymore.

The question is: can you use Tundra as is, instead of Taiga, for your
application?

If yes, you can just start using this easier authoring workflow. We will
hopefully iron out some wrinkles in how the asset refs work there, but
at least with absolute http refs you can already publish worlds on the
net.

If not, I think it would be great to support similar mesh drag&drop in
Naali against Taiga too. Loading a single mesh for local preview
actually just works, that's how the dotscene loading does it under the
hood. Then for publishing to the server, the publish code could make
that dotscene-with-single-mesh xml automagically for you (the scene
import tool in Naali releases already has the code to write a new
dotscene file, 'cause it can save the placement changes you do). I think
this could be added in a day.

Feedback is welcome for work priorisation considerations.

In the meantime, please anyone feel free to write tutorials of current
working processes like this. I think I'll personally at least keep
focusing on programming so the tutorials would get shorter later on :)
We've now been working on a demo using Tundra and testing it on a live
server etc., seems ok so far -- unfortunately the models for that demo
are not public yet so it needs to remain a bit hidden for a while still.
We could and I guess should set up more servers with the simple public
demos (included in the preview release so you can test them locally)
hosted in the meantime.

> Edgar

~Toni