On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 15:53 +0100, Peter Steinlechner wrote:
> You have to look under tools and scenes to upload meshes with naali

Yep, the old way (both in the old rexviewer and in Naali) of adding
single meshes is embarrasingly complex: upload mesh to inventory (in
Naali right-click in inventory window and select upload, or drag&drop
from disk to inventory iirc), create a prim, attach the mesh to the
prim.

What I think Peter is referring to is the dotscene upload, and that is
indeed the recommended way: export from your modelling app not only a
single object, but also a scene description (which basically tells where
your object, or all objects in the scene, are).

Then you can use the scene tool in that menu to load your object/scene
and it all goes automatically, uploads and assigns the materials and
textures too etc. That is the best way even for a single object.

For just adding a simple mesh, in the old releases (0.3 and 0.4) you can
also drag&drop it from the web. This video shows how:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL4M__dCSnk . I.e.: press 'build' and
find library, then drag&drop meshes from the list .. which is actually
this web page: http://www.realxtend.org/rexlib/

In current Naali, the Tundra 1.0.* releases, you can just
drag&drop .mesh .scene etc. files also from local disk. And if you are
connected to a server that uses a webserver to share them with others,
it uploads them automatically then. Finally it's good and easy!

So that brings the question I wanted to ask from Macho Che (again :) --
when you say "My server is based on OpenSim 0.7.0.2," but OTOH "Any
viewer is OK!" -- how is your server based on opensim? Have you written
some LSL scripts or Opensim region modules so that you have own
functionality? Or have you just installed Opensim and are using it out
of the box? In which case could also just replace it with another app if
it served you better?

Please, don't anyone interpret this so that I or reX in general would
have anything against Opensim and a huge campaign to try to convert
every user :) For me it is really important to know and understand what
people use and how, what they need exactly etc., to know how to
prioritize Naali dev efforts etc. If there is a lot of use cases where
Opensim is really needed, it makes sense for us to invest in making the
new Naali/Tundra stuff work against Opensim too. Not so if Naali users
typically don't actually need Opensim, but would be better of with
Tundra where Naali already works better (e.g. adding a mesh to scene is
easy) and everything is simpler overall.

I know many ways how Opensim is useful when using SL viewer and
derivatives like Imprudence, but that's actually a different question
than for Naali usage currently ('cause Naali doesn't support on the
client side the things that make SL shine, namely fast rendering of
large amounts of prims and showing multiple regions simultaneously).

So please tell if you can!

~Toni