On 02-Sep-02, Gregg Irwin wrote:
> << Last night I looked at the raw binary on a couple of fonts. The
> name is in
> there, but I wasn't readily able to identify a constant location nor
> a bracketing pair of words or symbols that would make parsing easy.
> (It wasn't obvious *to me*, at least.) >>

> The format is available (wotsit has a link to it), but I don't think
> it will be a 5 minute job. There is a table directory you would use
> to find the name table, then get the name out of that. Also,
> everything is big-endian. I've done this kind of thing a bit, and
> since it might actually work cross platform (anywhere TTF fonts are
> used), I'd be willing to spend a little time on it if people feel
> there is a lot of vale to be had from it. I.e. I'll tackle the TTF
> parsing bit if others want to handle the requestor, file finder,
> list-builder parts.

I'd have a go at the requester, unless someone beats me to it. (:  I
doubt I'd get on to it until next weekend though.  Anyway, some
thoughts on what refinements request-font should have...

/title
    title-line -- change default request title.
/font
    font-name -- default font-name or block of font-names to show as
selected.
/style
    font-style -- allow user to select a font-style.
/size
    font-size -- allow user to select a font-size.
/color
    font-color -- allow user to select a font's color.
/shadow
    font-shadow -- allow user to select a shadow-size.
/multi -- allow user to select more than one font.
/keep -- keep previous settings.
/all -- allow user selection of all of the font values - size, color
etc.

Given a font object can also have offset, space, align, valign and
colors values, are there any of those that should also be selectable
in the font requester?  And should shadow be in there?  And would it
be possible to restrict selection to only fixed or proportional
fonts?  That'd require the os-dependant routine to get more than just
the name of the font.  Short of having REBOL measure the width of
every character in every font! (:

--
Carl Read