RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

Website Promotion Made Easy!

Online Awareness is a Manchester based company who help businesses advertise
their Website on the Internet. We can promote your services using the main
online search engines; Google, Yahoo and MSN. This will increase your Web
visibility, enquiries, leads and sales.

For a FREE Website review, please contact us using the details below quoting
reference: OA/REDNEWS

Telephone: 0161 432 3669
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.online-awareness.com

---------------------------------
[32] FIFA to pay for injured players on international duty
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
'Fifa is preparing to take responsibility for insuring players on national duty
and paying their wages should they get injured. The game’s world governing body
is being sued by Charleroi, the Belgian club, over an injury suffered by
Abdelmajid Oulmers when away with Morocco'

---------------------------------
[31] Times on bung programme
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
'THE FA will increase the pressure on the BBC today to release all the evidence
gathered in its year-long Panorama investigation into corruption in the sport,
including information that was censored or left out of the programme because of
concerns about the legal repercussions of broadcasting unsubstantiated claims.
Although Sam Allardyce, the Bolton Wanderers manager, was accused of corruption
in the programme — an allegation he has angrily rejected by outlining his
intention to take legal action — the BBC said that 17 other Premiership
managers past and present were the subject of similar claims during its
investigations.

The FA has launched an inquiry into the claims relating to Allardyce and the
allegations of an illegal approach by Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager,
but it is ready to demand that the BBC releases all its footage, including the
claims that were bleeped out and other clips that ended on the cutting-room
floor.

Redknapp is viewed to have emerged from the programme with his reputation
intact — with most observers dismissing his conversation with an agent about
Andy Todd, the Blackburn Rovers defender, as a routine matter — but it was
claimed last night that he had launched a libel claim against the BBC before
the programme was screened.

Redknapp’s solicitors are understood to have written to the corporation
expressing concern about newspaper reports that speculated about what the
programme would allege. The letter is also said to have accused the BBC of
leaking such information, a claim that the corporation denied.

Redknapp seemed to indicate otherwise yesterday, calling the programme
“farcical” and saying: “I don’t think there’s anything in it that I need to
worry my lawyer about.” He also expressed his support for Allardyce. “I hope
things get sorted out for Sam — he’s a fantastic manager.”

Peter Harrison, the agent whose work was highlighted in the Panorama programme,
entitled Undercover: Football’s Dirty Secrets, said yesterday:

“I’ve never given bungs. I’ve not given a bung to Sam Allardyce. I’ve never
given a bung. I shall be suing the BBC.”

The programme has also been damned by many in the managerial fraternity, but
Chris Coleman, the Fulham manager, said that the game is far from squeaky
clean. “We’ve had players touted to us,” Coleman said. “It’s not just football,
it happens in all businesses. The rules are bent by everybody, or at least most
people.”

Uefa, European football’s governing body, has urged governments to regulate
agents in what it calls the jungle culture of football. “We are not the FBI,”
William Gaillard, a Uefa spokesman, said. “Maybe it needs a European Commission
directive and regulations. At the moment, any 10-year-old could take the
agents’ exam.”

---------------------------------
[30] Inside the VIP this week... We explain those VDS rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Red News has set up a VIP members forum FREE for readers and subscribers of the
mag and those paying £10 for entry for a year to share views, receive gossip
and the occasional breaking news story from Red News itself away from prying
eyes and ABUs. There are also a  Ticket & Travel Forum and Travel information
Forum in this VIP section

 http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

All you have to do to join the forum is log in and sign in and create yourself
a username if you don't have one already, then if you are a subscriber follow
the instructions at  http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703
http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703 or if you are a reader or wish
to purchase entry also go to  http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703
http://rnforum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9703 and follow the instructions.

Any questions ask us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Booking a train ticket?

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/js/101842/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('');

Red News are pleased to recommend a local marketing and design company who can
do anything from a few flyers and stationery to full marketing strategies and
stunning photography. visit:  http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk
http://www.touchmarketing.co.uk - they even offer special rates for Red News
readers.

Red News has started selling goods in its own Shop on e.bay - spread the word!

 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RedNewsShop

great original t-shirts  http://www.sumosam.co.uk/ http://www.sumosam.co.uk/

---------------------------------
[29] More Carrick
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"We're in the mix and it's vital we don't let things slip and end up chasing.
We've got a couple of good games coming up and we've got to make sure we get
maximum points to keep the pressure on. I think the squad is gelling quite
nicely. The younger players are no longer young players. They are more
experienced and better players, so the future is certainly looking bright. It's
going to be exciting."

---------------------------------
[28] O'Shea the Liverpool fan,,,?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
from BBC

'John O'Shea is a Liverpool fan, according to Reading's Stephen Hunt, who grew
up with the Manchester United star in Waterford, Ireland. "Now I've dropped him
in it," added Hunt. (Daily Mail)'

---------------------------------
[27] Sporting life on Reading team news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
'Reading striker Kevin Doyle is fit to face Manchester United on Saturday.

The Republic of Ireland international had missed training sessions after
suffering a dead leg in last week's victory at Sheffield United.

Striker Dave Kitson and defender Sam Sodje (both knee) remain sidelined with
long-term absentee Aaron Brown (broken ankle).'

---------------------------------
[26] Keane on management tips
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"I would always try to give the players the benefit of the doubt. The one thing
I have learnt from Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson is I always thought they were
fairly fair. If you made a mistake, they were quite happy to put their arm
around you but eventually, they would come down hard on you. That is all you
want as a player. If the manager is fair with you, you have no complaints"

---------------------------------
[25] Rio on Arsenal game
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"If people were surprised by that result, so be it. A lot of people, not
ourselves, around the game were probably a bit disrespectful to Arsenal. Maybe
in some sense, they were speaking about the result as a won thing for Man Utd
before the game had started just because the so-called big names weren't
playing. I don't think it was a bad team they brought to Man Utd, they were a
solid, quick team and proved that against us."

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2051413-10356806

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2051413-10367483 City breaks from £99
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[24] Rio on Reading
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"It will be a good occasion going down there to their place, their fans will be
up for it. I've seen them play a few times already this season and they look a
very good team, and they are doing well in the league so far. We're expecting a
tough game. If playing football means it suits them, then fantastic. I watched
them last season when they were beating teams out of sight in that league quite
comfortably and they've started very well this season. It will be a tough place
to go for any team this year, going to Reading."

---------------------------------
[23] Olegend
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Olegend

The man's a legend and we're not afraid to say it.

High Quality. Red and white text on black colour shirt. On a slashed wripped
gap text affect on the shirt. Designed by Daniel.
Medium, Large, X-large sizes only.
You can order by sterling cheque or credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex,
Switch or Solo.

Please fill in the online price column and product code request accordingly and
add the size you require.
Price: JUST £15.00 inc. p&p in UK £17.00 inc. p&p in ROW
Prod. Code: Ole

You can order by sending a cheque to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG.

Alternatively you can order by credit card - Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Switch or
Solo - for any one or any number of the shirts/hoods via the fast, safe and
secure paypal.

Just make sure you enter the correct product code for each shirt/hoodie (listed
on the shop part of the site) when ordering, together with the size (if others
than extra large are available, check on each specific item if that is the
case) and the correct price - please fill in the price column online
accordingly. Prices includes postage and packing.

Click on

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+T-Shirts&item_number=RN+T-Shirts&cn=State+Product+Code+of+T-Shirt&currency_code=GBP

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

---------------------------------
[22] Fletcher on catch up
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"It is hard to play catch up. As soon as you make a mistake you fall even
further behind. That is why the real focus this year was to make a good start
to the Premiership and keep ourselves in contention right from the off. We were
always confident about our form. Manchester United have to be at the top of the
league, we have to be challenging. There was a real confidence in the dressing
room this summer because we know we have the ability to match Chelsea."

---------------------------------
[21] Coppell on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
“Alex is an active member of the League Managers Association and is always
available at the end of a phone. Anyone can phone him up and he will give
advice. He has that ethos of the union of the members of the organisation, from
his Scottish roots, and any manager would love to spend time with him. The
first time I called him, his reputation had gone before him and I was expecting
some kind of ogre, but he was charm itself and couldn’t do enough to help. That
has been the case every time. He has always been so polite and helpful.”

“I remember running out at Old Trafford. It was a real heart-in-the-mouth
moment, an incredible experience for a 19-year-old. It’s a special game for me
and I’ll be as intrigued as everyone to see how we stand up against United. But
this game will not decide our Premiership future. The chances are that United
will beat most teams. In a way, that could make us more carefree, it could give
us a tendency to play our own game. If we go in just looking to respond, that’s
all we’ll do. It’s our first game against one of the acknowledged big boys and
we’ll see what happens. Then we can evaluate and redirect from there.”

---------------------------------
[20] BBC on agents
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Football agent Peter Harrison says he will sue the BBC after his appearance in
Tuesday's Panorama programme investigating corruption in the game. Harrison was
secretly filmed making claims about paying managers, but says it was just pub
gossip and banter.

"I've never given bungs," Harrison told the Daily Express. "I've not given Sam
Allardyce a bung. I will sue the BBC.

"I haven't heard from the Football Association. I'll carry on as an agent and
shall do what the FA asks of me."

Bolton boss Allardyce was accused by three different agents on Panorama of
accepting illegal payments over the transfer of players.

His son Craig was accused by the programme of accepting money for his part in
two deals and they have both denied any impropriety.

Harrison told the newspaper he had made payments to Craig Allardyce, during the
time the Bolton manager's son operated as an agent, but denied that constituted
an offence.

"I am not going to deny it," Harrison added.

"But Craig is a Fifa agent and in some deals there can be as many as four or
five agents, so why shouldn't I pay Craig?'

When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[19] More Coppell
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"It was always the chairman's dream to host Manchester United in a league game
and we have got to make sure the dream doesn't evaporate. We have to make sure
we are at the top of our game because undoubtedly if we don't play well we will
be beaten. But this game is not going to decide our Premiership future because
the chances are Manchester United will beat most teams. It is not a critical
factor in our longevity in this division."

---------------------------------
[18] Reading squad
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Hahnemann, Stack, Murty, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Shorey, Seol, Harper, Sidwell,
Convey, Lita, Doyle, de la Cruz, Bikey, Mate, Halls, Gunnarsson, Little, Oster,
Hunt, Long.

---------------------------------
[17] Joint 160th richest Americas
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
are the Glazers

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/54/biz_06rich400_The-400-Richest-Americans_Rank_7.html

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/54/biz_06rich400_The-400-Richest-Americans_Rank_7.html

140     Frederick Wallace Smith  2.2     62      Memphis, TN     FedEx
140     Jerry Yang       2.2     37      Los Altos, CA   Yahoo
153     Bennett Dorrance         2.1     57      Paradise Valley, AZ
inheritance
153     William Randolph Hearst III      2.1     57      San Francisco, CA
 Hearst Corp
153     H Wayne Huizenga         2.1     68      Fort Lauderdale, FL
investments
153     E Stanley Kroenke        2.1     59      Columbia, MO    sports, real
estate
153     Craig O McCaw    2.1     57      Seattle, WA     McCaw Cellular
153     Michael Robert Milken    2.1     60      Los Angeles, CA
investments
153     Penny Pritzker   2.1     47      Chicago, IL     hotels, investments
160     Herbert Anthony Allen Jr         2.0     66      New York, NY
investment banking
160     Leonore Annenberg        2.0     88      Wynnewood, PA   publishing
160     Leon Black       2.0     55      New York, NY    leveraged buyouts
160     Charles H Brandes        2.0     63      San Diego, CA   money
management
160     John P Calamos & family  2.0     66      Naperville, IL  mutual funds
160     Phoebe Hearst Cooke      2.0     79      San Francisco, CA       Hearst
Corp
160     Jim Davis & family       2.0     63      Newton, MA      New Balance
160     Stanley Druckenmiller    2.0     54      New York, NY    hedge funds
160     Barbara Carlson Gage & family    2.0     64      Minneapolis, MN
 Carlson Cos.
160     Malcolm Glazer & family  2.0     78      Palm Beach, FL  sports teams,
real estate
160     Tom T Gores      2.0     42      Beverly Hills, CA       leveraged
buyouts
160     Austin Hearst    2.0     54      New York, NY    Hearst Corp
160     David Whitmire Hearst Jr         2.0     61      Los Angeles, CA
 Hearst Corp
160     George Randolph Hearst Jr        2.0     79      Los Angeles, CA
 Hearst Corp
160     Margaret Hardy Magerko   2.0     40      Belle Vernon, PA        84
Lumber
160     Clayton Lee Mathile      2.0     65      Dayton, OH      Iams

---------------------------------
[16] Hotel rooms in Reading going spare
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
2 hotel ROOMS IN READING FOR THE SATURDAY NIGHT THEY ARE ONLY £26 EACH.

contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[15] Support the site
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
RN 128. Out September 17th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

Best United news service on the web... Want more? Support Red News and buy the
mag. The fanzine is published roughly once a month during the season and once
during the summer. Buying it helps this site survive and develop.

To order click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Subscribe to Red News. And you get in our VIP Forum for a year.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

you can order any of the items for sale on RN by cheque (sterling, made payable
to Red News), to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

NB*** We can also process your order over the phone. Send us your phone number
and order details to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

any queries, contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[14] Sporting life team news
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
'Patrice Evra could replace Mikael Silvestre, who is doubtful after limping out
of the Arsenal defeat with a foot injury, while Nemanja Vidic will be hoping
for a starting spot after seeing Rio Ferdinand's central defensive partnership
with Wes Brown suffer a dip in form.'

---------------------------------
[13] Reading's Dave Kitson
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"It's a tough game but we have a chance. We've had three good results this
season and we deserve to be in the position we are. We've got a tough run,
we're not going to take maximum points but we need something. We don't want it
to be a case of giving a good account of ourselves and being unlucky. We want a
result. A win would be fantastic but I would have thought we would take a draw.
It will be interesting this weekend because United have a Champions League game
on Tuesday and obviously both games are important to them. We'll see what team
they put out, they were the club that started the need for four strikers and
rotation. The cliche is that whatever side they put out will be a strong one."

---------------------------------
[12] Carrick
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"It was important to start well. We were disappointed to lose against Arsenal
because it was such a huge game but even so, we have given ourselves a platform
and we are definitely in the mix. It is vital we do not slip because then we
have to start chasing other teams and it becomes difficult. The good thing is
we are right in there now and the lads are confident we can win a lot more
games. It has to be maximum points all the way now because we need to put some
pressure on. It was frustrating to be injured so soon when you are wanting to
make an impression. It was a bit of setback, although I didn't miss too many
games in the end and I am pleased to be back now.. We have played ever so well
in a couple of matches but we have not really hit top form yet. In the scheme
of things, there is a lot to look forward to. We are up there and challenging
and we know there is more to come yet."

---------------------------------
[11] Ronaldo
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
“It is true that – before returning to Manchester – I said in an interview that
anything could happen. But this was a club that gave me a lot of support, and
where I have won a lot of things, and the situation needed to be analysed
calmly. With the support of the president Jorge [Mendes] and of Alex Ferguson I
took the decision to stay very calmly and I really think it was the best
decision. When we are hot-headed sometimes we say things we don't mean to or,
at least, that are not appropriate. If that happens we don't want to accept
that we were wrong or that some people were wrong. What's important is that
things turned out well. I have been here since I was 18-years-old. I have felt
and I still feel very happy about that. I hope that things will continue to
carry on in the same way for me, or even better. There's one thing I'm sure of:
Manchester United is the ideal club for me. What I want to do is leave a
permanent mark on Manchester, leave my mark on the club as the first Portugese
who played there, to leave the door open for others, my colleagues, to go there
to play one day.”

---------------------------------
[10] Coppell on Us
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"This is about the team, not me. But I admit it does have a significance for me
was well. I spent nine years of my life at Manchester United so it's not just
another game. The most pleasing thing for me is to see Reading up against what
is arguably one of the best clubs in he world. I'm a member of the Manchester
United ExPlayers' Association but I've never been to a function, principally
because I'm usually unable to get up there through work. But I still get
leaflets in the post telling me what's going on. It's not really a family but
it's an attachment. There's a kinship between all the past players. I just feel
honoured to have been associated with such a great club."

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2051413-10294323

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2051413-5590804 Click here
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[9] Stevie Coppell on the wing!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"It's hard not to treat it differently to other games with all the build-up.
The players will know lots of people who will be putting the game on a
pedestal. There's no escaping it. We have to face the reality. It's going to be
different so we have to accept that. This is what everybody at the club has
been working for - to compete at the highest level and against the best teams
around. We can approach it in a million ways or we can look at it as 11 players
versus 11. We've got to be at the top of our game and strive to get a result
when most people will have written off our chances before we've kicked a ball.
But it's not a battle of our wits, it's about how the players perform and they
have to deal with everything United throw at them. You can have a game plan but
none of that will work unless you play well as a team, which is what we'll be
trying to do. Arsenal played supremely well last weekend but that's not going
to help us this Saturday. That was at Old Trafford and this is at our ground.
If Arsenal had been at home I'm sure they would have played differently, so
it's hard to gauge anything from it. But United play their style and we have to
find ways of countering that."

---------------------------------
[8] Rio on Pizzagate
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
'AFTER the match I headed down the tunnel and just as I was about to turn into
the dressing room I heard shouting in front of us.

Me and Patrick Vieira went running towards it, getting faster and faster when
we saw a load of Arsenal and Manchester United players rucking with security
staff.

I battled my way through the crowd. Security guards had split the two teams and
everyone was trying to get at each other.

I don’t remember either of the managers being there. Their full-back, Lauren,
was giving it plenty.

Apparently that’s when some pizza and soup were thrown but I swear I never saw
it.

We always have pizza and soup in our dressing room but ours was right down the
other end so it must have come from Arsenal’s.

There’s a real rivalry between United and Arsenal.

All sorts of things have contributed to that. Ruud van Nistelrooy and Vieira.
Keane and Vieira. Gaz Neville and Jose Antonio Reyes always had good tussles.

Robert Pires is a bit of diver and if someone gives him a proper hard tackle he
starts crying.

But one Arsenal player I really admire is Thierry Henry. He is a nice guy,
really easy going.'

---------------------------------
[7] More Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
from his book in the SUN

 http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006440064_2,00.html
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006440064_2,00.html

'ON 18 March 2004 the FA confirmed Rio Ferdinand would be banned from football
for eight months for missing a drugs test. Here, for the first time, he reveals
his team-mates’ reaction and how he felt the people who condemned him treated
him unjustly.

STANDING in the toilets at the Radisson Hotel, Heathrow, doing what you do, I
reflected on how that last cup of tea was not the only thing slipping down the
drain.

My career was going the same way.

In a couple of hours’ time the FA’s appeal panel would decide whether to uphold
the eight-month ban imposed on me.

As I stood there, contemplating the injustice of it all, a large figure loomed
into view at the next urinal. “All right, how you doing?” he asked.

I couldn’t believe it. It was the FA’s prosecuting lawyer, Mark Gay, the man
who had tried to get me banned for two years.

He wasn’t just having a p***, he seemed to be taking the p*** too.

“How was I doing?” I thought, “F***ing terrific.”

I wanted to put the geezer through the wall.

This bloke was trying to nail me and he was asking if I was all right. No I
wasn’t all right. I was far from all right. In fact, I couldn’t have been less
all right.

Two hours later the ban was confirmed and I was banished from the game. It was
the lowest point of my football career.

I cast my mind back to when all of this had begun and the reactions of people
in the game to what was going on and those outside were very different.

For instance, look at the way my England team-mates responded when news of my
missed test first broke.

The squad was gathering ahead of the Euro 2004 qualifier in Istanbul against
Turkey.

Unbeknown to me, the players, led by my United team-mate Gary Neville,
immediately called a meeting to discuss my case and voted to go on strike
unless I was named in the squad.

Kieron Dyer rang me up to let me know exactly what was going on and I’ll never
forget what he said. “We ain’t going to play Rio. Gary Neville ain’t f***ing
about. He’s a f***ing soldier! He’s fighting your corner and saying that if
you’re not picked then the lads ain’t going to Turkey.”

Gary, whose nickname in the media is Red Nev, was in no mood to back down. It
was just Gary and the lads sending a message to the FA that they didn’t agree.

I gather there was some apprehension from Becks, Michael Owen and David James
who, though they supported the principle, felt a strike was going too far. To
be truthful, I didn’t feel comfortable about the strike call anyway.

The PFA were supporting the players but I had a couple of conversations with
the chief executive Gordon Taylor and told him I was worried about how far it
was going.

The FA were threatening to select a whole new squad to go to Turkey. They said
that if England didn’t play the match, not only could we be booted out of Euro
2004 but the next World Cup as well.

I couldn’t have that on my conscience, however wronged I felt.

A lot was made of the fact the club kept paying my wages while I was suspended
but they did the same with Eric Cantona when he was banned for jumping into the
crowd. The club is contractually obliged to pay you.

If it’s any consolation to those who wanted to grind me down still further, I
had to pay the costs of the case, apart from the cost of the hearing. I had to
pay the hire of the venue for my first case and the appeal hearing.

They also tried to bill me for meals and wine for all the FA people who were
banning me, as well as their drinks at the bar.

One even had his wife there and I was supposed to be paying for her as well. I
told them where they could stick things like that.'

---------------------------------
[6] Always nice to see
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Scouser vs Scouser
Terry McDermott on Bellamy

“I was talking to the ref. It had nothing to do with anyone else and I take
exception to little upstarts like him. I was upset we had lost in the way we
did. We felt we should have had two stonewall penalties. Bellamy appeared on
the scene and suddenly started calling me names. I thought he was just joking
and I put my arm around him. But he kept on calling me names. That’s when it
kicked off. I had my say and when he got to the top of the stairs he started
shouting at me again but he had security guys around him. I do not like it when
people like to think they are bigger than clubs. When he was at Newcastle he
thought he was a big cheese. When he went to Blackburn he caused trouble there.
Everywhere he has been he has been in bother and it is all starting again at
Liverpool.”

---------------------------------
[5] Ref tomorrow is
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Peter Walton

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2051413-5042808

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2051413-10387791 Hotels in Manchester
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[4] FREE £40 matched bet
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
The Ryder Cup

totesport.com are relaunching their Free £40 bet* offer for the weekend of the
36th Ryder Cup between Thursday 21st and Sunday 24th September.

Terms and Conditions
For first-time customers registering an on-line account with totesport.com.
Stake between £5 and £40 today on an event of your choice and we'll
credit your account with an equivalent free bet. This offer applies to your
first paid bet only. Minimum first bet £5, maximum first bet £40. Your free
bet will be credited to your account within 72 hours. Singles only. This
offer does not apply to pool bets. Only one free bet per customer.
Customers must be 18 years or over. Totesport rules apply.

 http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-10351781

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2051413-10295995 Have a Free £25 bet on totesport
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[3] More from Kevin Nolan
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
"I followed Liverpool as a boy but Eric Cantona and Lee Sharpe were my
favourite players, which was a bit mad because it meant I also wanted
Manchester United to do well."

---------------------------------
[2] Two revealing books coming soon, inc Paul McGrath
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Paul McGrath's Back from the Brink

Coming in November, and highly recommended, Andy Mitten interviews 11 famous
United players for their story

---------------------------------
[1] Keep the Scousebusting stories coming
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 by ed:
Scousebusting volunteers required to step forward and write about the following
games please!

Were you at any of the following games and can write a decent short write up of
your memories of the game/day?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

United 2 Liverpool 1 21/05/77

United 4 Mickeys 0 05/04/03

The two United 3 Mickeys 1 at Anfield in '97

United 2 Mickeys 2 18/10/92

United 3 Mickeys 1 League Cup 31/10/90

United 3 Mickeys 1 01/01/89

Mickeys 3 United 3 04/04/88

Mickeys 0 United 1 26/12/86

Mickeys 1 United 4 13/12/69

* Also if any Red can provide detail of the infamous dart throwing incidents
from those lovable Scousers, please get in touch.

Scousebusting...

If you can write just a couple of paragraphs - punchy, well-written, witty (or
serious) - on one of the Scousebusting games above, then we'd love to see it.

DEADLINE FOR SCOUSEBUSTING FEATURES IS THURSDAY 28th SEPTEMBER.

as ever to the usual - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[26] Highly recommended
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
Coming in November, and highly recommended, Andy Mitten interviews 11 famous
United players for their story

The XI prepared to be frank about life at the country’s best-supported club
were Bryan Robson, Ron Atkinson, Gary Bailey, Arthur Albiston,  Billy Garton,
Gordon McQueen, Alan Brazil, Frank Stapleton, Clayton Blackmore,  Arnold Muhren
and John Gidman.

They played for England’s biggest club but were never champions. Heroes to
millions on the pitch, off it they were riven by cliques and suffered from
bullying, insecurities and ill-discipline. They won FA Cups and travelled the
world, beating the best and drinking like Best, fighting for United, but also
with rival players, US Marines and each other.

Andy Mitten spent six months travelling to interview the most interesting
Manchester United players from the 80s at length, and their flamboyant manager.
All were prepared to go far beyond the clichés and talked candidly  about
football, from pranks and the drinking culture, to fights, drugs, money,
relationships, sex, and serious illness - stories which seem implausible two
decades later. They spoke about life before and after United, yet chiefly
about their time at Old Trafford in an era when players didn’t have agents and
the finest talents left for Italy and Spain - which was no surprise given Mark
Hughes, United’s top scorer, earned just £250 a week.
The XI prepared to be frank about life at the country’s best-supported club
were Bryan Robson, Ron Atkinson, Gary Bailey, Arthur Albiston, Billy Garton,
Gordon McQueen, Alan Brazil, Frank Stapleton, Clayton Blackmore, Arnold Muhren
and John Gidman.
The Famous Man United is more than a book about football. Hugely revealing  and
full of colour, through these gritty, entertaining, but always honest
interviews, it demonstrates that it was not all glory being a star and that
disillusionment and debt could lie around the corner.
Like the Salford lad who could see the Old Trafford floodlights from his
bedroom and would catch a bus with fans before playing for the first team. His
dream career curtailed by a mystery illness at 25, he broke down in front of
Alex Ferguson and contemplated suicide, yet he turned his life around and now
runs a successful business and lives on a golf course overlooking the Pacific.
Or the academic who was educated at a top South African university in the
apartheid era and struggled to adapt to the British culture. Despite this, he
played nearly 400 times for Manchester United and England, dated a Miss World
runner up and rubbed shoulders with Sir Laurence Olivier. Then he lost his
savings on the London property crash, before starting out again as a radio
presenter on the 4 am shift.
Then there's the former Scotland captain who, within two years of leaving old
Trafford, had spent five months hospitalised with E-Coli in Hong Kong and  lost
90% of his savings in the Black October stock market crash.
Telling his story for the first time is the defender who was shattered to
learn that he’d never play football again after almost being blinded in a
firework accident. He rebuilt his career and played for England, yet life was
always complicated for this womaniser who went into business with a disgraced
former MP. The decision led to him being bugged, raided at dawn by police and
standing trial for fraud.

“It all goes by too quickly,” remembers United’s former social convenor (and
centre half) Gordon McQueen. “We were young men from working class backgrounds
who played for Manchester United and travelled the world, the centre of
attention wherever we went. We were solid; at least eight of us went to the
pub twice a week. Looking back, it was if we were together for five minutes and
then it’s all gone.”

They were The Famous Man United.

Published on November 6th by Vision Sports Publishing

Coming in November, and highly recommended, Andy Mitten interviews 11 famous
United players for their story

---------------------------------
[25] Back Issues available
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

SPECIAL OFFERS!!!

- A random selection of 10 back issues from recent and distant past for just
£7.50 in the UK inc p&p, £12.50 inc p&p ROW!

or  - The full set of 50+ available back issues are JUST £30.00 (incl. p&p) in
the UK, £45.00 (incl. p&p) Rest of the World.  - An absolute BARGAIN!

or - order copies individually

Back issue Available/Cost

The following are just £0.30p each + a 50p S.A.E.
(unless otherwise stated)
Vol 2 No.4 Paraffin Pete
Vol 3 No.1 G. McQueen interview
Vol 3 No 2 The 55 Day Fiasco
Vol 3 No.4 Paul McGrath interview
Vol 4 No.1 We're back!
Vol 4 No.2 First Cantona Diary
Vol 5 No.1 Reliving the dream
Vol 5 No.2 Big Jim Holton
Vol.5.No.3 Istanbul hell. Galatasaray
Vol 5 No.4 Sir Matt Busby
Vol 5 No.5 Cometh the hour. Cometh the Man...United
Vol 5 No.6 Champions Again!
Vol 6 No.1 Steve Bruce interview
Vol 6 No.2 New A5 size.
Vol.6 No.3 Red & Famous
Vol 6 No.4 Still The King
Vol 6 No.5 Paddy Crerand interview
Vol 6 No.6 Dion Dublin interview
Vol 6 No.7 Brian Robson interview
Vol 7 No.1 Managers interview
Vol 7 No.3 Joe Jordan interview
Vol 7 No.4 IMUSA interview
Vol 7 No.5 Sammy McIlroy interview
Vol 8 No.1 Double Double Special
Vol 8 No.2 Milan & Ireland
Vol 9 No.4 Rotterdam
Vol 9 No.5 Borino Torino
Vol 9 No.6 Munich - Never Forgotten
Vol 9 No.7 Scouse-tubbies
Vol 9 No.8 Monaco
No. 53 Stam interview
No. 54 Gary Pallister interview
No. 55 SKY
No. 56 Sheringham interview
No. 57 Kiddo
No. 58 Utd 2 Liv 1!
No. 64 Lack of atmosphere.
No. 65 Keane
No. 68 United-Leeds perspective
No. 69 Paddy Crerand Interview
No. 71...Dublin, Bizarre Games
No. 72...Norman Whiteside interview
No. 74...Graz Issue
No. 75...Brian McClair interview Issue
No. 78...Fergie special (£2.50 inc p&p)
No. 79...The Ali Veron show
No. 80...The Jaap Stam story - his ghostwriter interviewed
No. 81...Bryan Robson interview
No. 82...Great United Songs + Wes Brown i/view (£2.50 incl p&p)
No. 84...Mikael Silvestre interview
No. 86...End of season special
No. 87...Eric Cantona interviewed
No. 88...I met a player once
No. 89...Rio Ferdinand interview
No. 91...United are back!
No. 94...Monopoly/George Best FREE poster inside
No. 96...Summer Title Issue
No. 101...Lee Martin interview
No. 102...Quinton Fortune interview
No. 103... Happy birthday Paddy Crerand
No. 104... I'm a Fan not a Customer
No. 105... Ryan Giggs interview
No. 106... Summer Special, views on Alan Smith signing
No. 107... August Edition

(All of the above offers are subject to availabilty.)

Back issues from last season cost just £0.75 each + S.A.E. of a 50p stamp  in
the UK (unless otherwise stated)

Issue. 120 Ted Beckham and Van Der Sar interviews
Issue. 121 George Best tributes
Issue. 123 Ole interview
Issue. 124 1976 Cup Final interviews with United team
Issue. 125 Journos interviewed

Back issues from this season cost just £2.00 each + S.A.E. of a 50p stamp  in
the UK (unless otherwise stated) - or cheque for £2.50 and £3.50 ROW.

Issue. 128 Paul Parker interviewed

SPECIAL OFFERS!!!

- A random selection of 10 back issues from recent and distant past for just
£7.50 in the UK inc p&p, £13.50 inc p&p ROW!

or  - The full set of 50+ available back issues are JUST £30.00 (incl. p&p) in
the UK, £45.00 (incl. p&p) Rest of the World.  - An absolute BARGAIN!

(any back issue not listed has sold out and is completely unavailable - unless
you try e.bay!)

Sterling cheques (only, please) payable to : RED NEWS should be sent to : Red
News, PO Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+Back+Issues&item_number=Back+Issues&page_style=PayPal&cn=list+editions+ordered&currency_code=GBP

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&undefined_quantity=1&item_name=RN+Back+Issues&item_number=Back+Issues&page_style=PayPal&cn=list+editions+ordered&currency_code=GBP

---------------------------------
[24] United to play November Northwich friendly
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
 http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.co.uk http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.co.uk

'SIR Alex Ferguson and a star-studded Manchester United team will officially
open the Victoria Stadium on November 30.

Vics have already decided to make the game all-ticket and believe it will be a
5,500 sell-out.

The Old Trafford boss promised Vics three years ago he would give the new
stadium a champagne launch but, as the club struggled to complete a takeover
and the building work, a showcase kick-off receded in importance.

When Ferguson was reminded of his offer last week he readily agreed to bring a
side to Northwich and a date was fixed. Vics will announce ticket prices soon.

The United visit will rekindle the carnival atmosphere of promotion at the
Victoria Stadium last April... unless the Vics team does something about it
first.'

---------------------------------
[23] SKY on United eyeing Lisbon?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
'Manchester United are understood to be keeping a close eye on the progress of
a number of the talented young crop of players at Sporting Lisbon.

Reports in the Portuguese press claim that United despatched a scout to Lisbon
last weekend to take in Sporting's league clash with Pacos de Ferreira.

Sporting actually slipped to a 1-0 home reverse in the match, but United's
intended targets all got a run-out.

The Premiership outfit were believed to be running the rule over centre back
Miguel Veloso (20), midfielder Joao Moutinho (20, pictured), left winger Nani
(19) and striker Djalo (20).

Veloso, Moutinho and Nani all played the full 90 minutes, while Djalo was
summoned from the bench at half time as Sporting searched for a goal.

All four of the quartet have come through Sporting's youth system, a production
line that also developed the skills of current United star Cristiano Ronaldo.

United have a good relationship with the Portuguese club, especially following
the transfer of Ronaldo, and are now looking to ensure they are at the head of
the queue for any emerging stars.

However, they are not the only club monitoring Sporting's latest batch of
prospects with, unsurprisingly, Chelsea and European champions Barcelona also
keeping up to speed with developments at Estadio Jose Alvalade.

Chelsea director of football Frank Arnesen has also visited the Portuguese
capital this season to make a personal check on Sporting's youngsters, while
Barca - who along with Chelsea are known to be chasing Porto's highly-rated
Brazilian teenager Anderson - are keeping tabs as well.

Sporting have refused to comment on the speculation, with a spokesperson
stating: "No club has contacted us on this subject."

---------------------------------
[22] Reading's Ibrahima Sonko
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
"For the fans it is special to have Manchester United here but we'll play it
like we do every game. As a player you always have to approach games in the
same way. It doesn't feel any different to the other games. I don't know how
the other lads see it but we have the same need to get points as we do against
other teams. We've earned the right to be playing the likes of Manchester
United and now we have to show what we can do."

---------------------------------
[21] Richardson
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
"Everyone has been training really well this season and the standard is very
high every day. There is strong opposition for places, which is good for United
and for me. At this club you have to fight for your place in the team. I
believe in myself, so I just have to keep pushing on. The manager wants all his
players sharp and on the ball, ready to play if needed. I have to make sure I
am ready, everyone does, because we want to win the league this season."

---------------------------------
[20] Reuters on bung show
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
'Former Portsmouth assistant manager Kevin Bond is to sue the BBC for libel and
soccer agent Teni Yerima is considering similar action after a programme
alleging corruption and rule-breaking in the English game.

Middlesbrough said they will file a complaint about agent Peter Harrison after
Tuesday's Panorama, "Undercover: Football's Dirty Secrets", made a series of
allegations about coaches and agents.

Two agents indicated that Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce had taken
payments, known as 'bungs', as part of transfers.

All of those accused in the programme have denied any wrongdoing, with some
planning legal action.

Bond was secretly recorded by Panorama as saying he would consider discussing
payments by a proposed new agency, entirely fictitious, involving Harrison.

"My client will be taking proceedings for libel against the BBC over the
programme and the media hype generated to publicise it," Bond's solicitor David
Price said in a statement.

"The short extract from my client's conversation with the reporter was taken
out of context and presented in a completely misleading manner.

"It was all smoke and mirrors. It seems that my client was only included
because after one year of working on the programme the producers were
struggling to fill the one hour slot."

Yerima was secretly filmed saying he had given money to Allardyce.

Yerima denied the allegations, telling French radio network RFI: "I have
nothing to hide, nothing to reproach myself for and, what's more, I'm willing
to go to London to explain things if the federation (FA) wishes.

"I don't want to row with people, but I am in contact with my lawyer for
possible subsequent action."

The former Cameroon international added: "A trap was laid for me, I don't know
why, my comments were twisted, they were interpreted in a way that suited the
programme. They wanted to sensationalise.

"Their desire was to find reprehensible activities in English football. I was
used." The programme accused Harrison of touting Middlesbrough teenager Nathan
Porritt to other clubs. It secretly filmed the agent discussing Porritt with
Chelsea's director of youth football, Frank Arnesen and later with a Liverpool
official.

Boro chief executive Keith Lamb said in a statement that the club was taking
action over the scenes.

"We will be making a formal complaint to the FA and the Premier League about
the actions of Peter Harrison, who we believe has not acted in the best
interests of his client and has certainly not had any regard for Middlesbrough.

"That is totally unacceptable to us and we have no option but to lodge a formal
complaint."

Chelsea and Liverpool have denied the meetings filmed by Panorama broke any
industry rules, the BBC said.

Allardyce has instructed his lawyers to take the "appropriate action."

He said in a statement to reporters: "I am very angry at the lies told about
me. The individuals who appeared in the programme making accusations against me
have already confirmed in writing to my lawyers that they lied to the BBC.

"They lied in the hope of being able to make millions offered by the BBC
undercover reporter to buy their sports agency businesses.

"Those individuals never thought their lies would be exposed in the way that
they have been and have apologised to me. "As a result of their greed, my good
name has been tarnished by deceit and innuendo."

The programme makers also accused Allardyce's agent son Craig of receiving
secret payments for the transfer of three players to Bolton.

Craig Allardyce has denied any wrongdoing in his Bolton deals and said he was
exaggerating his own importance to an undercover BBC reporter in order to
attract opportunities.

The Football Association has launched a series of investigations into
Panorama's allegations, with some of them their inquiries being led jointly
with the Premier League.'

var uri = 'http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp/img/16139340/608750?' + new String
(Math.random()).substring (2, 11); document.write('
http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=17211&a=608750&g=16139340
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news
');

---------------------------------
[19] Rooms in Reading going spare
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
2 hotel ROOMS IN READING FOR THE SATURDAY NIGHT THEY ARE ONLY £26 EACH.

contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[18] Would you be interested in online available pdfs of the mag
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
We'd appreciate you voting at

 http://rnforum.co.uk//phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16798
http://rnforum.co.uk//phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16798

---------------------------------
[17] MEN on Lancashire Senior Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 21, 2006 by ed:
'UNITED'S interest in this season's Lancashire Senior Cup was extinguished when
they were dumped out by Bolton Wanderers in the first round at a windswept
County Ground, Leyland last night.

Wanderers skipper Matt Cassidy scored the winner in the 28th minute with a low
drive past United keeper Tom Heaton.

United's young side battled well in search of the equaliser but their serious
attempts on goal were restricted to a couple of long-range shots from Phil
Marsh which both flew high over the bar.

Scott Jamieson very nearly grabbed a second goal for the home side in the 71st
minute, but his curling free-kick just failed to get past Heaton.

The Reds pressed in the closing stages, with both Ryan Shawcross and captain
Danny Rose going near to grabbing the leveller.

But they just couldn't break down a determined Bolton defence despite all their
frantic eforts.'

For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional