RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the forum, and more check out the website at
http://www.rednews.co.uk
For United books, videos, DVDs etc http://www.rednews.co.uk/ama.php?id=amazon

Website Promotion Made Easy!

Online Awareness is a Manchester based company who help businesses advertise
their Website on the Internet. We can promote your services using the main
online search engines; Google, Yahoo and MSN. This will increase your Web
visibility, enquiries, leads and sales.

For a FREE Website review, please contact us using the details below quoting
reference: OA/REDNEWS

Telephone: 0161 432 3669
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.online-awareness.com

---------------------------------
[17] Saha ok
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
from goal.com yesterday

'French internationals Claude Makelele and Louis Saha both trained successfully
on Monday evening to significantly improve their chances of participation in
Wednesday's clash against Italy. The duo picked up ankle-knocks in the 3-0 win
over Georgia on Saturday, but luckily for France, neither of the two injuries
turned out to be serious. Both players trained - albeit separately - on Monday,
and the latest coming out of France seems to suggest that both are expected fit
in time for the epic clash in Paris.'

---------------------------------
[16] What was said to Zidane...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
from Evening Standard

'Marco Materazzi has finally revealed what he said to Zinedine Zidane to prompt
the then France skipper to head-butt him during the World Cup final.
Zidane, who was playing his last game before retirement, has been reluctant to
provide details about what the Italy centre-half had said, only confirming that
the comments were of a personal nature and concerned his sister and mother.
Now, nearly two months on, former Everton defender Materazzi has lifted the lid
on his version of events.
He told Gazzetta dello Sport that Zidane, who was frustrated by the defender's
shirt-pulling, offered to give the Inter Milan man his jersey after match. "I
would prefer your sister," replied the defender.
"I answered verbally with a provocation to defend myself. Yes, I was tugging
his shirt, but when he said to me scornfully 'If you want my shirt so much I'll
give it to you afterwards,' is that not a provocation? I answered that I'd
prefer his sister, it's true.
"It's not a particularly nice thing to say, I recognise that. But loads of
players say worse things...I didn't even know he had a sister before all this
happened."
Materazzi's revelation comes ahead of the rematch between the two sides
tomorrow in a Euro 2008 qualifier.'

---------------------------------
[15] Official site on Rossi
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
'Giuseppe Rossi helped Italy's Under-21s reach the European Championship
play-offs with victory over Austria on Tuesday night.

The Azzurrini sealed a narrow 1-0 win over the Austrians courtesy of a goal
from Fiorentina midfielder Riccardo Montolivo seven minutes from time.

Rossi, who recently joined Newcastle on a four-month loan deal, impressed early
on in the match but tired towards the end, and was replaced by Andrea Lazzari
shortly before Montolivo struck his winner with a powerful low drive.

Italy now go into the play-offs in October to qualify for the final tournament
in June 2007.

The 19-year-old striker will return to England later this week and join up with
his new team-mates at St James Park. He could make his Magpies debut on
Saturday as Glenn Roeder's side take on Fulham in the Premiership.'

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-2051413-10294323

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

 http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2051413-5590804 Click here
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

Coming in October, Mihir Bose's revised look at United's finances

Manchester United: European Finals

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie on Spurs striker
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
“Berbatov may prove to be a good signing for Tottenham. We watched him quite a
bit at Leverkusen and he’s a really good player. Andy Johnson will definitely
help Everton. He’s a lively bugger, he’s quick and always on the move and he’ll
get them a few penalties this season. I reckon he’ll score upwards of 15 for
Everton this season and will prove to be a really good signing. And I think
Wigan will get a bit of joy out of Emile Heskey this season. I don’t think he
has ever quite realised his potential at Liverpool or Birmingham, but it may be
different at a smaller club like Wigan, if he could recover the form he showed
at Leicester where he was the main player."

---------------------------------
[13] Keane on management
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
"As a manager I cannot go off the handle like I did as a player. If something
is not right then I can do it as a manager, but hopefully I will do it with
more subtlety. I hope to get the balance right. You get older and a bit wiser
but I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I would get it right. There are many
ways of dealing with a player. Some need an arm around their shoulder. There
have been times at Manchester United when I have done that. The players know
that I expect 100 per cent effort and commitment in everything we do. If they
give that to Sunderland then there will be no problems, it is that simple. I
won't have people who don't give 100 per cent. You know people will make
mistakes but it is a balancing act.''

---------------------------------
[12] France coach unhappy with Chelsea's Gallas claims
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
Raymond Domenech

"It's a shame that Chelsea can say, think, or even imagine that Gallas would
betray his team mates during a game. It's scandalous. William has proved over
the years that he is loyal to his team mates. But I repeat, it's scandalous."

---------------------------------
[11] MEN on new English requirements
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
'WHISPER this very carefully north of the border, but Fergie wants his players
stamped: ‘Made in England.’

The canny Scot has seen the way the wind is blowing in the UEFA corridors of
power and knows home-bred players will soon be at a premium as new restrictions
bite.

UEFA have already implemented a rule this season that at least two players on
the A list of players on the squad roster that is sent to the European soccer
body for the Champions League must be academy trained by the club and two must
be academy trained by a club in that association.

By 2009, that will double: so United will need to have four players they have
brought through themselves, and another four who have come through the ranks at
other English clubs.

It looks as if United’s transfer policy is already taking UEFA’s direction into
account.

Having been handicapped in the early 1990s by the ‘foreigner rule’ that
arguably cost the 1994 Dream Team a European Cup, United will be at pains to
comply and ensure any further possible UEFA directives don’t catch them out.

Whether it’s UEFA red tape or a previous successful blueprint driving Old
Trafford’s transfer thoughts, it appears United are going to take on the role
of English bulldogs again.

There is already an English flavour about the make-up of Fergie’s United squad.

Old Trafford’s chief executive David Gill has revealed that the Reds did not
want the Argentinian World Cup pair Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano –
outrageously snatched by West Ham last week.

Even though Tevez and Mascherano have been classed as two of the most promising
22-year-olds in world football, Fergie and his backroom team had concluded
after much monitoring that neither of the South Americans fitted into United’s
plans for the future.

And one argument for ruling out the Corinthians duo could well be that Ferguson
has had his fingers burnt when dabbling in the South American market.

Certainly Fergie’s summer focus has been on the Three Lions.

England World Cup squad member Michael Carrick was captured for £18.6m from
Spurs and his midfield colleague in the international set up, Owen Hargreaves,
was a well-documented target and still remains top of the United manager’s wish
list.

West Ham’s Nigel Reo-Coker was also linked with an Old Trafford switch.

In the same time that United’s South American investments proved so costly,
Ferguson’s major English purchases have been value for money.

Rio Ferdinand (£30m) and Wayne Rooney (£30m) are certainly in the credit column.

While United have had their success stories during the glory years with north
European buys such as Eric Cantona, Peter Schmeichel, Jaap Stam and Ole Gunnar
Solskjaer, the backbone has been very much wrapped in a St George’s flag.

That backbone has run from Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Gary Pallister, Paul
Parker and Paul Ince, through to David Beckham, Gary and Phil Neville, Nicky
Butt, Paul Scholes and Andy Cole and now Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick and Co.

United have Ferdinand, Carrick, Wes Brown, and Kieran Richardson on current
England duty.

Rooney is suspended but will be immediately back in Steve McClaren’s squad once
his ban has finished just as Gary Neville will be restored when fit.

English players certainly know what is needed in the Premiership Fergie knows
that, as he bids to rebuild United’s challenge at home and abroad, he can ill
afford the time to allow newcomers to bed into a new UEFA culture.'

---------------------------------
[10] Ole sub tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
Norway coach Aage Hareide

"Ole Gunnar played a good game against Hungary but he has to be used sensibly
after his long injury, and so he won't be starting against Moldova, It would
have been medically unacceptable (to start him)."

 http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-2051413-5042809

 http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2051413-10387791 Hotels in Manchester
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[9] Brazil boss praise for Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
Dunga

"Any manager in the world would like a player like Giggs in their side, and I
am no different. But frankly I wouldn't know where to play him, we have so many
good players. If he was Brazilian it would give me far too many problems."

---------------------------------
[8] Toshack on Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
 "Ryan did very well in that company. We decided to give him just 45 minutes,
because he had a hard game against the Czechs and he will be involved in the
Champions League next week. He has also been very busy at Manchester United so
far this season because of the business with Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes
being suspended, it has meant Ryan has had to play a lot more. Probably more
that they thought. But he's our captain and experienced and we need him out
there. I have not chatted to Sir Alex (Ferguson) about him, I know what to do.
He only had a short time against Bulgaria recently as well, it is to our
advantage just as much as Manchester United's not to overuse him. We have some
big games coming up next month we will want him for. But when we take our
experienced men off, it gives us an opportunity to look at something else
because we need to find alternatives. We are constructing something as we are
competing in big matches, so it is tough to discover what we want."

---------------------------------
[7] Subscribe and Support
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
RN 127. Out August 20th.

In the UK £2.50 inc p&p each copy
ROW £3.50 inc p&p  each copy

Like this site. Want more? Then Support Red News and buy the mag. The fanzine
is published roughly once a month during the season and once during the summer.
Buying it helps this site survive and develop.

To order click on

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=rednewsweb%40mac%2ecom&item_name=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&item_number=Red%20News%20Single%20Copy%20Order&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dBuyNowBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Subscribe to Red News.

UK 10 issue sub £25.00 inc p&p
Europe 10 issue sub £30.00 inc p&p
Rest Of The World 10 issue sub £35.00 inc p&p

you can order any of the items for sale on RN by cheque (sterling, made payable
to Red News), to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

And those kind hearted souls out there can help with our costs by making an
online donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit
helps with our costs - thanks. click on.

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rednewsweb%40aol.com&item_name=Red+News+donation&item_number=RN+donation&cn=Donate+to+Online+or+Fanzine%3F&tax=0&curr

All our t-shirts - Some classic designs

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shoptsht.htm

ECF '68 High Quality retro Shirts with Hand Embroided Crest. Order by credit
card or cheque at...

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopec68.htmency_code=GBP

UNOFFICIAL ALTERNATIVE SHIRTS

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop64.htm

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shop65.htm

Back Issues

 http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/shopsub2.htm

any queries, contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[6] Rio wants his place back ahead of Wes
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
"You just have to be selfish in that way. You want to play for your country and
you want to be in the team. The manager picks the team and if I'm in the team,
brilliant. All I care about is playing. If you play it's always going to be at
the expense of somebody else, whether that's your mate or not. Wes is someone
who I play with all the time. He's a talented player who hasn't had many
opportunities at international level but when he has done, he has never
disappointed. He did well again on Saturday."

---------------------------------
[5] Betting Offer
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
Free £30 Bet On The Euro 2008 Qualifiers

- Open an account and we will give you three Free £10 Bets

Additionally we have the following offer on the first goal scorer market;

Macedonia vs England Cashback Offer;

Place a first goalscorer bet on Macedonia vs England and if your player fails
to score first but scores second, we'll refund your bet! Available to everyone!

 Please see the website for more details, terms and conditions.

When you plan to have a bet - use Sporting Odds through us

 http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983
http://www.sportingodds.com/index.asp?tpid=2983

---------------------------------
[4] Wales lost 2-0 vs Brazil last night
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
Giggs subbed at half-time presumably in pre-arrangement between Toshack and SAF

---------------------------------
[3] Come on you lot, confess!
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
DOH...

What's the silliest or most stupid thing you've done or been caught up in over
the years whilst watching United?

Be it funny, bizarre or just plain sad we're after your tales of an event
you've kept hidden or rather not talk about until now.

It may have been something that sounded a good idea at the time, or you just
knew it was stupid all along.

Send us YOUR stories, however brief, to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[2] Quick forum reserves write-up
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
posted on the RN forum by TripleM

"Anyways, crap game. Somehow United let County equalise near the end despite
never being threatened until then, then missed four penalties in the shoot out
and lost 3-0. Thought both the Jones' looked good, they seemed to have the ball
between them 90% of the game. Smith played the 90 minutes, looked a bit off the
pace as you'd expect, missed in the shoot out. For some reason Countys fans
booed him whenever he touched the ball.  Apparently the Manchester Senior Cup
is a group tournemant or something, so I don't even know why there was
penalties if thats the case."

---------------------------------
[1] From Reuters
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by ed:
'Manchester United is open to using the asset-backed security (ABS) market to
refinance, as the English Premier League football club still holds debt from
U.S. financier Malcolm Glazer's 2005 takeover.

"Securitisation remains an option going forward for the Glazer family in regard
to Manchester United," a spokesman for the family said on Tuesday.

The financing of top flight English football clubs has grabbed the headlines in
London's debt markets during recent months after Arsenal raised 260 million
pounds in July.

The club sold a bond backed by ticket revenues to refinance the construction of
the club's new Emirates stadium in north London, its new home after 93 years at
Highbury.

The Royal Bank of Scotland  was the lead manager for the Arsenal ticket bond.
It has begun structuring a securitisation for Manchester United with Deutsche
Bank, Euroweek said in its September 1 edition.

The Glazer family spokesman said he would not comment on speculation in the
market. The banks declined to comment.

United, the club of England striker Wayne Rooney, has so far relied on JP
Morgan to finance Glazer's takeover. JP Morgan arranged a 575 million pound
refinancing of Glazer's takeover debt in July, made up of 375 million pounds of
senior secured debt, a 150 million pound second lien loan and a 50 million
pound revolver.

J.P. Morgan also arranged a 265 million euro senior debt package and the 85
million pound second lien loan last year to back the buyout. There was also a
275 million pound payment-in-kind loan provided by hedge funds.'

---------------------------------
[35] More McClaren on Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
"Rio is a valuable player for us. He has great experience and    forms a very
good partnership with John Terry. I thought Wes Brown handled the game very
well on Saturday so I would have     no hesitation in playing him again if need
be. Rio trained yesterday. He will train again this afternoon and from that I
will know my team and confirm it tomorrow."

---------------------------------
[34] Miss the mag? Miss out
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
the sort of article that appears in the mag, along with exclusive interviews
and gossip, below from Teresa McDonald in the summer mag

Twenty FIVE? Or 15? Or the more common 14 minutes? So just how long do you have
to wait ‘on hold’ before you get through when ringing the United ticket line?
Is there anybody out there who hasn't wasted some proportion of the last season
trying to get through and order tickets only to be held - at a profitable
national rate number cost remember - for ages? Whether it be due to the lack of
staff (after the cost cutting), or by design (delay the calls ever so slightly
and make a more than slight profit), United are making a tidy sum from all of
us tearing our hair out waiting on hold.
The amount of ST holders eligible to apply for an away ticket next season could
be as many as 30,000 with the new additions. Not all of these will bother
applying for away games but many will. Imagine even more delays - and the money
United are going to make on the phonelines alone. It may be a penny here or
there individually, but collectively I’d like it going into MY bank account
each bloody week!
One Red who was being held one day at work last season, rang on another work
phone through to the main switchboard to complain. Asking to be put through to
“Mr Chubb” to complain directly, the Red was told: “He doesn't speak to the
likes of you”. Nice. The record from a reader for being held last season was...
1 hour 20 minutes. Unreal!
Another RN reader was e.mailed about Blackburn away tickets still being
available at the time. He e.mailed United: “I did respond by trying to buy two
tickets for this game, however I gave up after spending a lengthy amount of
time ‘on hold’ on the telephone. There is a limit to the amount of time I am
prepared to wait, listening to recorded messages, knowing all the while that I
am paying a premium rate. I also tried to contact the ticket office via the
main switchboard. The main switchboard put me through, but the phone just rang
out for almost 20 minutes before I gave up. The impression I was left with is
that the ticket office is either vastly understaffed or supporters are
deliberately being kept on hold in order to maximise your receipts from these
phone calls.”
The club did actually mail him back: “We are sorry that you have had
difficulties when trying to contact us by phone and looking at the date of your
email we are assuming you called on Monday which unfortunately due to the
Burton replay and the FA Cup 4th round draw (presuming we beat Burton of
course!) it was a particularly busy day in the Ticket Office.  The 0870 numbers
we use are charged at National Rate (approximately 6p per minute) and not
Premium Rate - these are usually 0871 or 0890 numbers but we certainly
appreciate how frustrating it can be when you are on hold for any length of
time.  The switchboard operators can only put you through to the Ticket Office
extension where the queuing system is on so we can answer calls fairly.”
I realise that the staff working in the TO are under pressure with a heavy
workload but the problem remains that their bosses have cut staff in a dept
where there should be more workers in, and United continue to rake in a slice
of a, say, average, 10 minute hold that costs each of us 60p to make. A reader
summed up the emotions whilst being on hold: “Perhaps the issue is not the
cost, if it is just 6p, but the time and the sheer hopelessness of the void
into which we plunge whenever we connect to their computer system. After about
a minute a sort of despair sets in as we realise this may take some time, and
we spend ages pondering the probability of the call being answered a
milli-second after we give up and hang up. And there is the awful knowledge
that hanging up means you've either got to do it all over again or miss a
match. I tell you, there is some serious psychology at work here, with every
second ‘on hold’ causing yet more pent up anger at United and the way it is
run.”
When I have the stress making, time-consuming, fruitless exercise of trying to
get through or make sense out of the robots manning the automated controls
though the energising replay of the commentary in Barca ‘99 with its last
minute finale may got you sitting back in anticipation of a climax to your
enquiry, you’re quickly deflated. Twenty minutes later of mind blowing
frustration, after being switched from the emotion charged commentary of Barca
to a prolonged silence, followed by another ten minutes of silence, and
eventually time and cost starts hitting your consciousness, I reluctantly hang
up. Why am I spending all this time and effort when I’m not even in the loyalty
pot and giving United money for an application I’m not going to win!
You then get to go through 6 options - corporate, Utd finance, coach travel.
Can I please just speak to a human?Press number 3. Then the soundtrack starts
again - this time it begins with Lee Martin's winner against Palace, followed
through to the Cup Winners Cup Final, 5 years of eternity pass and its Eric's
return, then his volley against the Vermin. Did I actually see all those
moments or was I just sat on my arse on the phone to United listening to them
at the end of a line?
At least if you're lucky you get to hear some recollections of happier times
following the Reds but if you draw the short straw and end up getting the:
“Please continue to hold” voiceover then my conspiracy theory mindset puts
these delays down to a scheme by the Chuckle brothers to get a return on their
interest rates. I phoned up for two seats for the West Brom Carling Cup game
last year -hardly a world beater for demand. Yet I noted that this simple
request on a dull winter Tuesday afternoon took 14 repeated ‘continue to hold’
messages, lasting 12 secs each - then a dialling tone which took a staggering 3
and a half minutes to finally connect with a human operator. Am I the only one
who feels we are being conned on our telephone applications? Don't get me
started on Euro aways and their bloody web site applications. For Lille I was
told they hadn't had my travel details which I'd sent four weeks earlier via
their ticket applications site. Apparently the site hadn't got them. That
f*cking sh*te website has a lot to answer for!
Last gripe. I know I am no spring chicken but surely those strobe lighting
affects and orange fluorescent Nike and the like adverts throughout games at
Old Trafford are OTT. I sit there visualising someone with epilepsy collapsing
in a heap. Do the powers that be honestly believe that these adverts stimulate
one to purchase their goods? If I could find the conduit cable I'd sabotage the
bloody lot. Thank God none of our players look up long enough to notice them.
And finally, when entering yet another ballot for away match tickets which I
never win. Why, when you enter your season ticket number for the ninth time do
they then ask - ‘do you wish this number to be entered in the ballot’? For
f*cks sake after entering all that info I'm really going to say no aren't I?!
Teresa McDonald

---------------------------------
[33] Old Trafford Supporters Club Open Day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
 http://www.oldtraffordsupportersclub.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=24
http://www.oldtraffordsupportersclub.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=24

Open day Saturday September 9th from 10am

St Annes Social club - Chester road

Come along to our open day where you will be able to ask questions in an
informal manner about the OTSC project.  You will be able to ask questions
about the goals of OTSC and how to invest in and become a part of your social
club for all Manchester United fans.

We will also have raffles which will include the main prize a personally signed
framed picture of Eric Cantona donated by Angelos from The Red Star Supporters
shop next to the Lou Macari chippy.  Along with several other prizes.

We will also be providing transport all afternoon for you from St Annes for the
half mile journey to the ground

St Annes also has parking available free of charge for over 90 vehicles.

---------------------------------
[32] Fergie on United legends
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
"Cantona had so much charisma and talent it gave everyone in the dressing room
the belief they could beat anyone. When he used to puff that chest out and pull
his collar up the fans loved someone with audacity. It was like he was saying
''I'm here. I've arrived'. It was like the Messiah was coming. I thought
Cantona's greatest attribute was that he knew when to pass the ball. He had the
capacity to think 'I should pass it now, and I'll weigh the pass the right way
and I'll play it at the correct angle'. I would loved to have had Denis Law,
Bobby Charlton and George Best in my team. I remember asking Bobby Charlton who
he thought was the greatest player to ever play for United. And without a hint
of thinking about it he said Duncan Edwards. When I asked him why, he said, 'He
was a man. He was a man at 16'. He influenced everyone in the dressing room. I
would have loved to have had Best in my team.. and Edwards was one of the
greatest players".

---------------------------------
[31] Fergie on technology
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
"I've been in charge for 20 years and it has been an explosion of success. When
I started I had eight staff and now I have 40 that cover all aspects of sports
science. We use technology and whatever we can to improve. If someone comes to
me and says they can improve Manchester United by one per cent you have to pay
attention. Because we try and improve by a certain percentage every year and
that's what progress is."

---------------------------------
[30] Fergie on Hargreaves
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
"With Hargreaves we tried to get him at the end of last season actually but
there was never any inclination from Bayern Munich to sell. We kept pursuing it
because we thought he would have been perfect. We would have preferred to add
to the squad but we've got a good squad and I'm happy with it. We're doing well
and we've got a good team. I feel we have a big, big chance of winning the
Premiership. We have a good young team who are starting to mature and they have
the desire."

 http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-795737-10412212

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from
plain text email version of news

---------------------------------
[29] Fergie on Chelsea
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
"It does create a certain difficulty for them in terms of the number of good
players they have, as in whether he's picking the right team. They will always
bring in new players every year because that's the financial clout they have.
The only change in Chelsea is they've already lost a game. They didn't lose a
game last year at this time. So we'll take that as a bonus and make sure we
don't lose."

---------------------------------
[28] More Fergie carrying on
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
"I think the important thing about working is whether you enjoy it and whether
your health is OK. Once you get to your 60s you're never guaranteed your
health. For instance, two years ago I got a pacemaker. That's an indication
that you're getting older, so you have to prioritise yourself the right way. I
eat the right things and get a proper rest. I work hard but I go to the
gymnasium as much as I can. For me it's two things. Am I enjoying the job? Yes.
Is my health OK? I think it's OK as I'm getting the right checkups and if it
wasn't that way I would change my thinking. I quite like people talking about
this being my last year and wondering if I'm going to go because it means they
don't know when I'm going to retire. I don't give them any information about
that and let them carry on and when they ask I take pleasure in them not
knowing. When I started at Old Trafford I was very hands-on but as you get
older you delegate and that's a very important step forward for me. I'm 65 now
and realise that I can't do everything so I delegate. Football's such a massive
industry now."

---------------------------------
[27] Garth Crooks actually upsets someone shocker!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
from SUN

'JOHN TERRY is refusing to do any interviews with BBC reporter Garth Crooks.
The England skipper has been angered by former Spurs striker Crooks because he
believes the Beeb man is trying to score cheap points.

The dispute began when Terry was asked by Crooks for a one-to-one interview
before his first game as captain against Greece.

Terry politely refused, arguing if he did one for the BBC he would have to for
every broadcaster and it would be too many.

Crooks then asked in an open Press conference for all journalists whether Terry
was aware of his media responsibilities and the Chelsea defender saw that as a
cheap shot.

Terry has said he will do an interview for the BBC if they send Ray Stubbs but
not for Crooks.

Ironically, Terry plans to do a one-to-one interview for Sky television today
ahead of the Euro 2008 qualifier in Macedonia.

The FA has been trying to act as an arbitrator but so far have been unable to
break the deadlock.

A BBC source said: “It’s a bit of a headache this one. Hopefully it can be
resolved but there is no sign of that happening at the moment.”

---------------------------------
[26] BBC on Fergie quotes
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 5, 2006 by ed:
'Sir Alex Ferguson has urged Roy Keane to be more tolerant - if he is to
succeed as manager of Sunderland. Keane's first game in charge is against Derby
on Saturday.

Manchester United boss Ferguson told the Mirror: "If you can't deal with the
pressure and can't enjoy the job, then you are going to be in trouble.

"Some players think they know what it's like to be a manager but they don't,
they can't do it. You have got to be prepared to learn."

Ferguson added: "The most important thing he has to do is find a way of
enjoying the job."

Former Republic of Ireland and Celtic midfielder Keane played for 13 years
under Ferguson at Old Trafford and was his manager's on-field general.

But that partnership ended when Keane left United in November 2005 - after
criticising his team-mates during that season.

However, now the Irishman has joined the managerial fraternity, both men have
been exchanging phone calls.

"I've spoken to him several times and I said the same thing to him that I said
to my other former players like Steve Bruce," added Ferguson.

"I said you've got to deal with and navigate the problems of today like player
power and the media.

"I wished him well and told him he will have to learn to tolerate things in
football that he just doesn't agree with.

"And the most important thing he has to do is to find a way of enjoying the
job."

The pair are at opposite ends of the managerial spectrum and, while Keane is in
his first fortnight in the job, Ferguson is in his 32nd year.

But the Scot, who has been at Old Trafford for almost 20 years and is fast
approaching 65 years of age, has no intention of quitting just yet.

"The important thing about working is whether you enjoy it and whether your
health is OK," he added.

"Once you get to your sixties you are never guaranteed your health.

"For instance, two years ago I got a pacemaker. That's an indication that you
are getting older so you have to prioritise yourself the right way.

"I eat the right things and get a proper rest. I work hard but I go to the
gymnasium as much as I can.

"For me, it's two things. Am I enjoying the job? Yes. Is my health OK? I think
it's OK as I'm getting the right check-ups and if it wasn't that way I'd change