Since nobody from redhat answered and since the rawhide release
19991220 did not make any changes to glibc or remove egcs I'll try
again: Is gcc or egcs going to be the default compiler in future
releases?

Another very important thing nobody seem to have noticed: When
compiling util-linux (still in 2.10c-1) with target i686 a lot of
files are NOT BUILT compared to i386. Files not built are login,
cfdisk, fsck.mimix, mkfs.minix, sfdisk, chfn, chsh, cytune,
newgrp rdev, swapdev, vidmode, vigr, vipw. The man pages are missing
as well.