Steven Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone have any info (howto's, guides etc) on MySQL? I think it could
> be pretty useful. Then again, a complete E-Commerce server howto would be
> mighty useful!

It's not clear to me whether or not MySQL is a good choice
for "e-commerce", strictly speaking.  It's a decent choice
for running a website like slashdot, where they have to
serve up a lot of data fast, but no one really fundamentally
cares about the data all that much (you lose a couple of
messages, that's an annoyance, not an "I'll take you to
court for this" problem).

There at least used to be problems with MySQL lacking
transaction support[1], and if I remember correctly there was a
problem with keeping it up 24/7 (I think you needed to go
off-line to do backups).

I'm not sure what the status is of these problems at the
moment.  Supposedly they've hacked in some sort of
transaction support, via the Berkeley DB code (though I
think this means that there are two kinds of tables in MySQL
now, faster ones without transaction support, and slower
ones that have it).

Anyway, if you're really doing E-commerce, I would strongly
suggest using postgresql, which is arguably still the only
"real" open source database.  (And it's quite possible that
you really should just bite the bullet and pay for an Oracle
license.)

[1] Transaction support is important to make sure that things
don't get royally screwed up if something gets interrupted
in the middle, e.g. you don't want to bill someone and
forget to ship, or ship something and forget to bill.