> Is it truely the info pages you hate, or just the info user
> interface program?  I suspect the latter.  I like what info is
> TRYING to do - hyperlink documentation in a useful manner, but
> the UI just plain sucks.  HTML'ing it means I can choose my own
> UI - Lynx/Netscape, etc..
>
> The info documents are very useful.  Try reading them with
> midnight commander in the /usr/info dir, or with less or
> something.  You get a bunch of crap here and there, but don't
> have to screw with the crappy info UI.  ;o)

I dislike both. the info command is woeful; most of the documents I try to
read are poorly organised and I have to find a mile of links to get what I
want. In many cases, many of the links prove to be false leads.

When I want to know about a command, I want to know about that command. I
don't want to spend ages trying to figure the command's use so I can
back-track false leads.

I came to Linux from OS/2. I sorely miss OS/2's hypertext information browser;
it's accessible from the commandline so one can type
   help ibm1s506
and it opens the relevant page in a PM window. There's a search facility, one
can search the current manual or ALL manuals. There are navigation buttons for
sequential access (like reading a book) revisiting previous pages, going
directly to the contents or index.

In contrast, it's year 2000 and the info command does not even understand a
mouse.

It's true that GNOME and KDE have better interfaces to the documentation,
Well, better for beginners; I still find myself using the man command a great
deal as it's quicker when I know what I want to see. However, they're still
not very good.