> > From: Mario Torre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > I haved a little problem with the kde packages in Rawhoide since both
> > > the gcc 2.96 in RH7 and the gcc-2.96-60 in Rawhide crash when
> > > compiling certain components of it.
> >
> > On the ftp server of kde there is a fix for those package. I had to
> > recompile qt (it takes 8 hours!!!), but it worked. I had problem with a
> > package, as the script runs in seg-fault (if you need to know what it is,
> > let me know, I have to search, as I don't remember the name).
>
> Thank you.

The package should be: kdesupport-2.0-1.i386.rpm, but someone should check
about that, as I'm not really sure.

> > Can RedHat team, please, say the url for download these upgrades? I don't
> > want to download a package that is not correctly set to work for RedHat
> > Linux.
>
> Since RedHat provided KDE2 in the previews directory I really expected
> they provided us with a complete kit for going KDE that is with kde1
> compatibility libraries and with the hacks needed to start a kde2
> session from gdm (it presently doesn't work).

About the problem with init 5 (if I have understood that's your problem), you
can change the script: /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde2, as it refer
to a path that doesn't exists in a normal installation of RedHat Linux 7.0.
That will make you able to run kde with a graphical start-up.

> I hope we get a clearer path for maoving to kernel 2.4 once it is out.

I hope too!

> > P.S. It is released the new Mandrake Linux 7.2, I have seen they use
> > CUPS, and the Powertools also have CUPS. How much it is better from lpd?
>
> lpd and LPRng just don't play in the same league than CUPS.  And when
> you couple it with the cupsomatic database CUPS supports all printers
> supported by ghostscript.

I have changed the LPRng with the old package in the RedHat Linux 6.2, and I
have downloaded the upgrade for making it usable with RedHat Linux 7.0, as
the LPRng doesn't recognize my box name if I change from the default
localhost.localdomain (currently, my linux box is nirvana.localdomain).

Does anyone have the same problem? (this was yet posted some weeks ago, if
anyone remember...)

Thank you
Mario
--