On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:18:39AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > Ok, most of the people who read Kernel Traffic, have already seen
> > this, but I think this comment of Zack Brown in Issue #100 is worth
> > repeating here:
>
> So Zack Brown's an expert on how Red Hat should do its business?

What's most surprising to me is the conservative attitude of the developers
themselves, considering that the entire upshot of my editorial was only that
Red Hat should encourage more participation on this list.

If you go back and read what I wrote, you'll see that my criticism was very
specific. I did not say Red Hat was bad, or that it was unusable. Nor did I say
its development was not open. I only said that it did not seem to encourage
enough participation from others, and that I thought this should change.

> Seems to me that RH has got one or two things right; the number of its users
> suggests that.

True. We should all switch to Windows... ;-)

when you make statements like that? Or are you just reacting, without thinking?

> Nor is he right about what this use is for, unless RH has changed its
> definition since last time I checked.

I was going on what I was told by Matt. If you're right, then there would seem
to be *no* public developers list for the Red Hat distro.

Maybe someone from Red Hat could explain exactly what you see the relationship
being, between the Red Hat distro, and the Linux community. Aside from the mere
fact of Red hat being GPLed, how does it locate itself in the spectrum of free
software projects? Does it *want* outside people to contribute? If so, how? What
will it do to enable that contribution? If it does want outside people to
contribute, then why should people get flak for suggesting that its methods of
encouraging that contribution could be improved?

Zack

> --
> Cheers
> John Summerfield
> http://www2.ami.com.au/ for OS/2 & linux information.
> Configuration, networking, combined IBM ftpsites index.
>
> Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

Zack Brown, Linuxcare, Inc.
tel: 1-415-354-4878x284, fax: 1-415-701-7457
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.linuxcare.com/
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.