On 7 Oct 2001, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> Riku Meskanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Does anybody know if there exist a project(s) or effort(s)
> > to create a proper centralized management system for Linux?
>
> Red Hat Network, http://rhn.redhat.com, is targeted at
> exactly this.

Hummm... Yes I have heard¹ about it and I thought
that someone would propably bring it up at least
as a plug :)

¹) went down to it now and spent some time reading
   documentation.

I have tried up2date when it was still free and have
some kind of experience about it. I think it works
for the problem, updating and maintainding individual
hosts, but before you commit the problem solved when
the question is about little larger scale environments
think about following issues, please.

- I don't have any doubts that very small companies
  have problems outsourcing the MGMT-station side,
  but would you believe that many as example take
  big companies, research labs, like Telecoms vendors,
  Telcos, etc. around the world would trust anybody else
  but themselves on managment of the MGMT-station
  (rhn-service in this case) in their sole hands.
  I don't think they like the idea that someone else
  knows has exact information what they are running and
  where.

  AFAIK the server-side of the RHN is Red Hat
  proprietary and cannot be downloaded or purchaced
  or can it? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

- Therefore IHMO RHN is merely a one vendor subscription
  service (HP & Sun has this too) that has limited use
  when all the systems are directly or via proxy
  connected to Internet and the ordinary security
  measures apply.

  However there are large Intranets that have very
  limited or no connection to Internet at all. The
  idea that each and every system needs to connect
  to internet and get packages from repository outside
  company facilities won't work and is often strictly
  not allowed (bandwith and security considerations).

- I tried to find information how, reading RHN
  doc pages, how the configuration file management
  if there is that done. I would like to hear more
  about it. Where this information can be found?

- Defining the host in classes and forcing policies,
  software packages, removing packages, etc. ?

- How about, reporting, logs, big-picture views,
  class management not just managing individual
  hosts etc. ?

Any pointers or whitepapers about how RHN operates
and what is publicly available would be nice to read.

HTH,

:-) riku

ps.     RHN site seem to have at the moment some
        problems, I get "Connection failed" from
        rhn.redhat.com:443 all the time :(
--
    [ This .signature intentionally left blank ]