On Fri, 15 May 1998, Chuck Carson wrote:

> Linux can out perform NT maybe, but Solaris? That is like
> comparing a GEO Metro to a Mercedes Benz IMHO.

It's more like comparing a Camaro to a Mercedes.  One of them might be
nice and comfy, but the other is just as fast and soups up a lot easier.

> Linux wouldn't stand a chance against Solaris nor would
> any other Unix save AIX. I have personally ran test suites on IRIX,
> Solairs 2.6, AIX, and Linux. We were looking at using some

I'm sure the Suns and SGI's you were testing Solaris on were the same
speed as the PC's, too.  Sun computers are made of high quality
components, they have fast (and expensive) RAM, SCSI drives, fast RISC
CPU's, and are generally pretty high horsepower systems (except the old
ones, of course).  PC's just can't stand up to Sun, SGI, and RS6000
hardware.  You should compare benchmarks of Linux against Solaris x86.  Or
you might even try Solaris on Sun against Linux on Sun.

> to measure up, and AIX hardware costs too much, so we went
> with Ultra Sparcs and Solaris.

Not a bad choice - the Ultra Sparc is an excellent system. :)

> The only reason linux is so popular is it is free and most of the

I can't argue with that.

> software is free. Solaris has a far more robust kernel and their
> C/C++ compilers are unparralled in performance and ability.

I wouldn't say they're "unparalleled".  They're pretty good, and they have
the advantage of being written by the same company that makes the
hardware.  On the other hand, GCC is pretty good, and I would have to say
that considering the vast array of systems it runs on, and the number of
things it can compile, it obtains pretty good performance which is rougly
equal to that of any other compiler.  I won't say it's better, but it's
pretty good.

> I personally think IBM's AIX is the best Unix out there but being as dumb

You won't get much support for that position.  IBM makes good hardware and
AIX has a lot of nifty features (especially user and disk management) and
is robust enough, but AIX won't win any points for being much like any
other sort of Unix anywhere in the world.