>> The only reason linux is so popular is it is free and most of the
>
> I can't argue with that.

I can.  I've actually _used_ Slowaris, as well as NT in an equivalent capacity
as Linux.  There's more to a free OS than just being free.

Have you ever worked on Solaris and tried to:

- Use a machine with less than 128M for anything?
- Tried to overcome the /dev and /devices learning curve? Or fix it when it
   breaks?
- Had to actually _pay_ for that 'unparalled' compiler?
- Pay for Y2K fixes!?
- Done any network performance tests?

I'm very confident that David Miller and the other Sparc programmers can
outperform Sun on their own hardware.

Dave