James Boorn wrote:

> The only way to get companies to support a platform is to let them know
> you want it.  So if you want it ask for it.  And if a company is really so
> incompetent to not know if they have a linux version or not thats a
> company no one should be doing business with.

All true.

I apologize if my last seemed too abrupt; reading it a few minutes later made me
realize that I was coming off as a prick.

What I meant by companies not knowing if their product will work on Linux or not, was
that a lot of things (hardware and
software) work on Linux only because somebody other than the manufacturer or publisher
has figured out how to do it.
(Adaptec leaps to mind, and I'm convinced that Lotus Notes would work on my system if
I could just trick the install script
into thinking that I'm on a Solaris.)  This appears to apply to Oracle as well, at
least for now, since as I read the HOWTO
it only discusses adapting the SCO version, nothing about a Linux native version.

We've all heard the laundry list of reasons that companies dream up for not supporting
Linux directly.  Naturally that's so
much more reason for letting those companies know that we're out here, but if we wait
for them to come around instead of
looking to ourselves and one another for solutions, we'll wait a very long time indeed.