On Wed, 27 May 1998, Anand P. Kale wrote:

>Does anyone has the idea if ORACLE is available on Linux ?  If so where
>can I find more information. ?

Oracle is not available on Linux. However, the SCO versions of Oracle work
very well under Linux -- contrary to what others have stated here. There
are groups within Oracle Corp that use SCO Oracle on Linux as production
servers. (I'm saying this as a soon-to-be ex-employee with firsthand
knowledge.)

I have a collection of howto info that can help you get it up and running;
installation is the only tricky part. Once it's up and running, SCO Oracle
works better on Linux than it does on SCO. (I've had consistent reports
that it's up to four times faster, and much more stable.)

If you (Anand) and anyone else (on the redhat list) wants this info, feel
free to email me. It's not very organized yet -- stuff I've pulled off the
net over the past years -- but I've used most of the info before, and was
able to get Oracle running fine.

--

About Oracle Corp porting to Linux: not bloody likely. Why? Because Oracle
is run by non-technical people who don't understand what open software is.

The people who would make the business decision to port to Linux don't see
a reason to do so. I know: I mounted an email campaign on this subject,
and was constantly rebuffed with "we can't come up with a good business
case for this."

It will take either:

1] new, savvy people in these positions,

2] a big shift in the corporate perception of open software (this is
   happening, but Oracle is a slow, slothful beast)

3] a business deal with another corporation, perhaps like what Caldera has
   done with Netscape

4] a competitor like Informix porting to Linux and getting lots of
   attention. The Informix port is supposed to be happening, I hear, but
   it'll take some press before Oracle wakes its big ugly head and gets
   jealous/mad about it enough to do the port.

Meanwhile, Workgroup Server (a five-user full-blown version of Oracle
7.3.2.2) is downloadable from ftp.oracle.com/pub/www. It's on a 90-day
free trial basis. Hmmmm.

 sabat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  .    " You have no right to despise
 http://sabat.area51.org   .      the present. " --Baudelaire