On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Robert Hart wrote:
[...]
>Unsupported???? We have full commercial support available for Red Hat
>Linux... what do they actually want that we are not providing with our
>commercial support program - this sort of response from management is
>one we wish to stop!

A Web page detailing the program might help.  I can't find one on
www.redhat.com.  I found what appears to be an announcement of the
program, but no details.  That's *very* discouraging.  Please fix this!

[...]
>Ummm - has no-one in your company REALLY heard of Pencom/Collective
>Technologies - they are our largest support partner...

I've never heard of Pencom/Collective Technologies.  I like to think
I'm pretty aware of the industry.  I read PC Week, I participate in
inet-access, I've recently undertaken a major job search, yet I've never
heard of them.  Unfortunately, I'm not aware of *any* companies that
provide RH-affiliated (official) support, in part because there are no
Web pages about the topic.

>> And who wants to configure a corporate web server by using vi, when
>> Netscape provides a graphical interface?  And what about using
>> ipfwadm to set up a firewall?
>
>Your point about the web server is well taken - but have you tried the
>apachecfg package?

X-based utilities aren't always ideally suited for server environments.
Remember, one of Linux's advantages is that it doesn't suffer the overhead
NT does because the Linux GUI, X, isn't mandatory.  Providing X-based
tools, while nifty, reduce some of Linux's advantage.  I would like to see
more Web-based tools, myself.  (Actually, I prefer console/command-line
tools.)

BTW, Robert, it's good to see you posting again.  You've been silent
too long.

--
    Steve Coile