> Could you provide some more information on Linuxconf?  I'm specifically
> interested in whether Linuxconf can be used in a non-graphical
> environment (on a system without X installed), whether it can be used
> non-interactively (from scripts), and whether it has any support for
> remote/distributed management.

Yes, I only recently checked out linuxconf, and it has all of the things
you mention.  The only drawback is that it completely takes control of
your system, by taking control of execution of all the init files.

There is remote management capability, as well as a nice dialog-based text
interface.  As a matter of fact, the text mode interface is nicer than the
X-based one.

It seems to be able to do quite a bit, including sendmail configuration,
including masquerading, DNS, PPP/SLIP, adding/deleting users, etc..

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out (after only playing for
an hour) is why it brings up a window at the end of booting, where you
must press 'Ok' to continue, preventing unattended booting..

> I work for an ISP.  We've got several boxes that share a lot of
> configuration information (password files, server configuration files,
> etc.).  The idea of a robust, full-featured configuration system is very
> appealing, but I'm concerned whether folks in situations such as mine will
> be able to take advantage of it.  I'm also concerned that, if Linuxconf
> is *not* designed to handle such a situation, whether its integration into
> the operating system would actually *disrupt* operation of our systems.

I'm not sure if it has the ability to distribute information, if that's
what you mean.  I'm also not sure if you can find exactly which files it
modifies, to create a tarball to do a mass-distribution..

Dave