On 26-Apr-98 Dan Hughes wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been trying to install redhat 5.0 on a p233mmx machine.  It has
> 4.0 gb Western Digital hard drive, that supports UltraDMA.  It also has a
> Teac 24X cdrom, 33.6 modem that I know works with Redhat because I am
> using it on another machine that runs redhat 5.0.  It would be a dual
> boot
> system also with windows95 on it.  It has a diamond 2000 video card that
> know will be supported by Xwindows, and I have monitor that I have
> documentation on.  When I built this machine, every part I put into it, I
> put in with Linux in mind.
>       That is why I cannot figure out why when I tried to install
> Redhat5.0 to my machine, it began to produce many errors.  I will try and
> keep this short so as to keep any listeners attention.  I tried
> partioning
> the hard drive for linux, splitting the dos partition at about 600 megs.
> Then I created a root partition for linux trying to keep it below 1024
> cylinders.  After that I created the second Dos partition of about 1.8
> gigs.  I the proceeded to give linux about 2 gigs of space, based upon
> different partitions of /usr , /home dirctories and the swap file.
>       At this point I followed the install steps in setting up linux.
> At the point where the install program tried write the operating system
> (not format) to the partitions I had a variety of errors.  Sometimes the
> install program hung.  Sometimes the program would give error warning
> signs and then hang.  My all time favorite was when the screen began to
> change colors and spout messages in a disorganized fashion across the
> screen.  I have installed Linux before.  The am using most of the same
> parts that I used in the last linux machine I installed aside from the
> harddrive, ram (SDRAM), and cdrom.  Every else in this machine I have
> researched and they are supported. This should not have been a problem.
> I was lucky to get the hard drive back to a functional state, being that
> disk druid would not allow me to completly delete the / and swap
> partitions.

I _NEVER_ successfully got Disk Druid to work for me, out of my several
hundred installs. Have you tried using fdisk? I always works for me.

>       Please read this and please tell me if I made any errors.  If you
> want more information I will be glad to send it to you.  I may try
> installing redhat 4.2 to my machine instead.  I have never done an full
> install of redhat 5, only upgrades.  If anyone has any ideas please send
> me an e-mail.

I would definitely install with 4.2 first. That will effectively eliminate
all of the hardware possibilities, although I don't see anything that would
cause the problems you're having (outside of my personal suspicions about
the 5.0 install script).

---
A prune isn't a vegetable; a cabbage is a vegetable.