Try this; set the drive up normally.  If you must, tell your BIOS that
you're using a 1023 cyl, 16 head, 63 sector drive.  (LILO uses the BIOS
but Linux, once loaded, does not.)  Have a boot partition (your root)
entirely below the 1023 cylinder limit.  Everything else goes on after
that.

I did this on an old Epson laptop.  486SLC2/50 with a 1.0 GB hard drive.
Win95 has the first 400 megs, my root partition takes up 80 megs, and then
/usr and my swap partitions occupy the rest of the drive.  No lost
capacity, works like a charm.

> I have an old Digital 486DX33 low profile box that I'd like to use Linux
> with... the problem is it has a standard IDE disk controler on-board.
> It can't see all of a larger EIDE disk, and I need at least 2GB to use.
> I assume the 500MB limitation is in the old IDE controler and adding a
> SCSI card would cure that problem.  Anyone know of a good ISA SCSI card
> that works well with Linux, or, better, where I could get one?  Haven't
> seen any on any Web sites that sell relatively new equipment..
>
> Any ideas on how to get the old box to see all 2GB of an EIDE disk I
> have would also do the trick.
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
>     -Fred
>

> --

   Chris. | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://ebhon.jnst.uor.edu/Users/crank

             Give me life, give me pain, give me myself again
                                                        - tori amos