-----Original Message-----
From: Eric L. Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Fred Whipple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, May 07, 1998 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: ISA SCSI for Old 486?

>Exception: The boot partition needs to be entirely below the 500mb limit
>(since the BIOS is used to boot). I always solve this by making a 5mb
>/boot partition as first thing on the hard drive. Voila!

Unless you use EZDrive or Ontrack, in which case it can be bigger.

Which is why Linux has built-in support for those programs, and everybody
saying it doesn't and doesn't need it can just BITE ME!!!!   :-)

Quoting from the Large Disk mini-HOWTO:

"If a BIOS does not know about `Large' or `LBA', then there are software
solutions around. Disk Managers like OnTrack or EZ-Drive replace the BIOS
disk handling routines by their own. Often this is accomplished by having
the disk manager code live in the MBR and subsequent sectors (OnTrack calls
this code DDO: Dynamic Drive Overlay), so that it is booted before any other
operating system. That is why one may have problems when booting from a
floppy when a Disk Manager has been installed.

The effect is more or less the same as with a translating BIOS - but
especially when running several different operating systems on the same
disk, disk managers can cause a lot of trouble.

Linux does support OnTrack Disk Manager since version 1.3.14, and EZ-Drive
since version 1.3.29. Some more details are given below. "

etc. etc.