> I have an old Digital 486DX33 low profile box that I'd like to use Linux
> with... the problem is it has a standard IDE disk controler on-board.
> It can't see all of a larger EIDE disk, and I need at least 2GB to use.
> I assume the 500MB limitation is in the old IDE controler and adding a
> SCSI card would cure that problem.  Anyone know of a good ISA SCSI card
> that works well with Linux, or, better, where I could get one?  Haven't
> seen any on any Web sites that sell relatively new equipment..

If your thinking of spending some money on a SCSI card, perhaps you should
consider purchasing an IDE controller that supports what you are trying to
do instead.

Unless of course you have SCSI disks already.  I don't see much reason in
investing money on expensive SCSI disks and a controller for a simple
33mhz machine..

With that being said, I'm not convinced that Linux will have a problem
with a disk larger than 504M.  From what I understand, Linux only uses the
BIOS initially to find the geometry, then reads that information directly
from the disk.

So, you might try using the 'user defined' setting in your BIOS, entering
the correcty geometry information, and creating a 10M root partition to
store your kernel.  Then create the rest of your parttiions as you please,
and I suspect you won't have a problem.

Dave