On my PC RHL is on the extended partition, but I cerated this extended
partition using Linux Fdisk. The Win95 FDISK( for same strange reason) creates
extended partition but this extended partition appears as 'Unknown' when u
view it from the Linux fdisk. The reason is as follows: each partition (
primary or extended ) is assigned a type identified by a number. The linux (
and some other OSs) recongnizes a partition as extended if thus number is '5'.
But Win95 FDISK creates this with type 'F', which is unknown for Linux. And u
cannot create Linux logical partition on this win95 created extended partition.

So if u are deleting extended partition (at your own risk) recreate it using
Linux fdisk. Once u have done this u can go ahead and create logical drives
from the win95 fdisk (win95 recognizes this linux created extneded partition
as extended  partition) and then u can use the remaining space on extended
partition to create Linux logical partitions where u can install Linux.

Also none of s/w available for reparitioning (what I know about them) can
repartition your extended parition, so decide and explore before u purchase
them.

Good Luck!
SHAILESH MEHROTRA
E-mail  :       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (W)