> hi. this is a brand new install.  I am an experienced win95/dos
> administrator, learning unix
>

> i just did an install from your cd-rom.  On my network, I can ping
> the unix box, but when i try to ftp or connected via a browers i get
> socket errors.
>
> I'm sure this is some little setting somewhere that I set wrong, so
please help!

----
this is what I got from red hat.. Lets here it for customer support!

Can anyone help?  Im stuck?

Hello!

Red Hat technical support only offers installation support.
Installation
support covers a basic installation of supported hardware and a working
Xwindows environment.

Configuration and optimization of your Linux environment is not covered
by installation support.  Questions regarding these topics should
be sent to the 'redhat-list'.  Examples of questions asked and answered
on
this list are:

o Most Post Install configurations
o Building specialized kernels (compiling)
o Xwindows environment configuration
o Internet connections (PPP)(Netscape)(ISP's)
o Programming questions
o Daemon and service configurations
o Unsupported hardware questions, such as sound cards
o Network configurations (Lan)
o Modems

Additionally, you may find the Red Hat users' mailing list to be of
assistance.  To subscribe to the redhat-list mailing list, send mail

    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

with the following in the subject line:

    subscribe

Leave the body empty.  This list is for all 4.x and prior releases.
Other
wise, subscribe to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in the same
manner
in order to discuss Red Hat 5.0 issues.

Thank you for using Red Hat Linux!

On 20 Jun 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> State the installation problem:
>
> hi. this is a brand new install.  I am an experienced win95/dos
> administrator, learning unix
>

> i just did an install from your cd-rom.  On my network, I can ping
> the unix box, but when i try to ftp or connected via a browers i get
> socket errors.
>
> I'm sure this is some little setting somewhere that I set wrong, so
please help!

> thanks
>

> Is the problem a post/pre install question?:
>
> Have you changed anything on your system that may affect the
> install/upgrade process?:
>
> Have you checked the errata?:
> [http://www.redhat.com/errata]
>
> Have you changed/added hardware to your system?:

==