bennett lauber wrote:

> > hi. this is a brand new install.  I am an experienced win95/dos
> > administrator, learning unix
> >

> > i just did an install from your cd-rom.  On my network, I can ping
> > the unix box, but when i try to ftp or connected via a browers i get
> > socket errors.
> >
> > I'm sure this is some little setting somewhere that I set wrong, so
> please help!

WRT the tech support thing, I can see your point, but on the other hand
you _do_ have Linux "installed," it just isn't behaving the way you
want.  Which is where we come in.  But that may be okay, since I
generally have much better luck with this list than I ever do with the
phone droids who support proprietary systems.

But onward.

First, some clarification:  By "the unix box," do you mean the new Linux
machine or some pre-existing ("real" UNIX) machine?

Do you get these socket errors coming and going, or only when trying to
connect in one direction?  For example, can you use a browser on the
Linux box to connect outward, or can you use a browser on some other
machine to connect to a web server on the Linux box, or neither?  If
neither, do both sets of errors look the same?

[note: if you don't have X up on the Linux box, you can use the lynx
browser from the command line.  It's included in the RH distribution if
you haven't installed it yet.]

How are you connecting to the net?  Modem/ISP/cable, ethernet, or some
other way?

What about connecting "within" the machine?  For example, if your
machine is named 'foo.bar.com', can you ftp, browse, or telnet _from_
foo.bar.com _to_ foo.bar.com?

Finally, when you say "port errors," can you be more specific?  Does it
just say "port error" or is there more info?  Does the error differ in
any way depending on which service you try to use?

All of these questions are straight off the top of my head; others might
be able to guess more specifically what problem you're having, but I
certainly can't.  So come back with more info and we'll see if we can do
better.

Good luck,