Can you telnet in from any other box?  It sounds like you haven't setup
apache or installed the ftp server.  As root startx then with the
control-panel run the apache configurator. (The very bottom icon on the
panel.)  Set it up there and if you have questions e-mail me off the list.

This may be entirely wrong but that's my 2 coins.
Late,
~C

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, bennett lauber wrote:

> > hi. this is a brand new install.  I am an experienced win95/dos
> > administrator, learning unix
> >

> > i just did an install from your cd-rom.  On my network, I can ping
> > the unix box, but when i try to ftp or connected via a browers i get
> > socket errors.
> >
> > I'm sure this is some little setting somewhere that I set wrong, so
> please help!
>

> ----
> this is what I got from red hat.. Lets here it for customer support!
>
> Can anyone help?  Im stuck?
>

> Hello!
>
> Red Hat technical support only offers installation support.
> Installation
> support covers a basic installation of supported hardware and a working
> Xwindows environment.
>
> Configuration and optimization of your Linux environment is not covered
> by installation support.  Questions regarding these topics should
> be sent to the 'redhat-list'.  Examples of questions asked and answered
> on
> this list are:
>
> o Most Post Install configurations
> o Building specialized kernels (compiling)
> o Xwindows environment configuration
> o Internet connections (PPP)(Netscape)(ISP's)
> o Programming questions
> o Daemon and service configurations
> o Unsupported hardware questions, such as sound cards
> o Network configurations (Lan)
> o Modems
>
> Additionally, you may find the Red Hat users' mailing list to be of
> assistance.  To subscribe to the redhat-list mailing list, send mail
>
>     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> with the following in the subject line:
>
>     subscribe
>
> Leave the body empty.  This list is for all 4.x and prior releases.
> Other
> wise, subscribe to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in the same
> manner
> in order to discuss Red Hat 5.0 issues.
>
> Thank you for using Red Hat Linux!
>

> On 20 Jun 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > State the installation problem:
> >
> > hi. this is a brand new install.  I am an experienced win95/dos
> > administrator, learning unix
> >

> > i just did an install from your cd-rom.  On my network, I can ping
> > the unix box, but when i try to ftp or connected via a browers i get
> > socket errors.
> >
> > I'm sure this is some little setting somewhere that I set wrong, so
> please help!
> >

> > thanks
> >

> > Is the problem a post/pre install question?:
> >
> > Have you changed anything on your system that may affect the
> > install/upgrade process?:
> >
> > Have you checked the errata?:
> > [http://www.redhat.com/errata]
> >
> > Have you changed/added hardware to your system?:
> >

> ==

Cory T. Lamb  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Media Lab Manager
Information Media Services
Bethel College
                \\|//
                (o o)
*This message sent with 100 percent recycled electrons.
No french toast was created or destroyed in the process.*