In a tone, that only John Cleese, a favorite of mine could do justice:
"Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sorry."

All I can say is that RedHat proponents are comprised of two basic
groups of people:
1. Those that have made the OS a hobby and enjoy tuning and
    tweaking it to their own end.
2. Those that use it as a tool in business [both personal and economic.
    [Of course, there would be a large group that is both.]

The rest of this is directed toward group #2:

I read the comp news groups alot and can say there is as much traffic
relating to maintaining the RedHat OS as there is for the other OS's.
So, I deduct from that that RedHat does not have a lock on OS's as far
as superiority is concerned.

1. Can RedHat perform tricks/routines that other OS's can not?  No.
2. Does RedHat have a better selection of programs to choose from? No.
3. Do programs written for RedHat run better than their counterparts in
    other OS's? No.
4. If RedHat is free, I would think there would be a stampede to it  just
    get our from under the thumb of Bill [which is the reason I bought
RedHat
    in the first place]?  I see no stampede.
5. I like all my programs in their own root DIR.  I may be wrong on this
but
    the only OS I know that allow this is OS/2, carte blanc.
6. If RedHat is so great, why can't it fix itself when something goes
wrong?
    I think OS/2 might be ahead on that count.  "ding:,, attn user, "we"
have
    a error msg # 20xv3847 which is "the right mouse button is sticking and
    the system believes the culprit is syrup [Aunt Jemima].  Solution is to
    shut the system down, disconnect the mouse and wash the right contact
    points with a mild solution of water. Rinse and let dry.
    That's what I want.  Not: 'error' and a bunch of 16 bit strings like
you get
    with MS.
7.  Your system crashes [don't tell RedHat doesn't].  Can you boot from
     Syquest, Iomega, CD-rom removeables to reload the OS?
8.  Why are there so many flavors of UNIX?  I really want to know.
9.  Right now, I am editing sectors on a disk to restore lost partitions.
Other
     than backing up the MBR [which all OS's can do], what snazzy utility
     does RedHat have to facilitate this?  The only reason I say this is
because
     MS has/requires tons of utilities.  As a matter of fact, there are
businesses
     out there thriving in making maintenance utilities for MS.  So, are
they
     built into RedHat?
10. I see no difference between RedHat as an OS workstation or Server.
     Why the argument?  It's just the hardware configuration.
11.The only man I know that could make RedHat a success is Bill Gates.
     And he might just be in the market with the way things are going with
     NT, so I hear/read.
12. There is not OS ready for prime time. Period.  We are still coddling,
      feeding, nursing and swearing at them.

Paraphrasing the words of the Gripe Man: this stuff will kill you.

I'm going fishing.

Mat