Somewhere on the web I found a comment saying that the 2.0.34-0.6 version
of the kernel, that comes with RedHat 5.1, is not the latest (stable)
release. Therefore, I went to kernel.org and got the real 2.0.34. In that
version the sound driver is again one module (sound.o) as opposed to several
modules in 2.0.34-0.6 (sound.o, mpu401.o, sb.o, sscape.o, etc.). I have
heard that SoundScape support was broken in the multimodule scenario. Maybe
that's why they went back to the old solution.

I compiled the new kernel with sound support and I now get so far that
cat /dev/sndstat reports all drivers with their irq, dma etc. settings.
The midi device seems to be configured but the audio and dsp are not.
Unfortunately playmidi also did not work. Thus, I cannot test anything
until those problems are solved. It looked like the Makefile/make dep
hierarchy does not fully descend through all trees (I also lost kernel FAT32
support, although I specified it in /usr/src/linux/.config). Is that a
known bug in 2.0.34 ?

BTW: the sound driver must have something to do with 4front. It says something
about a "lite" version (USS Lite 3.5.4) in the Readme. Just checked the web
site they quote (http://www.4front-tech.com/ossfree). They have even more
recent OSSfree drivers. I might give'm a try tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Dirk