Casey Bralla did write;

>I'm confused about partitions.  Unless I want to isolate & limit user
>file storage, why not just let the whole disk be 1 partition? (except
>for a separate swap partition).

>What is the disadvantage of having one single large partition?

Ever had the pleasure (NOT) of waiting for a fsck to finish on a huge
partition, usually because of some other gliche?

Of course..it depends on how big the partition actually is. In my mind, at
the very least you should make your / partition a seperate entity. This is
mainly to facilitate recovery from some filesystem accident (which in my
experience usually involves /usr), and if that directory is just part of
one big root partition, it can be a tad distressing. (only once did I run
a single partition for all...the distress got to me ;)

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
 The truth is out there...it's just a heavily guarded secret   db
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o