On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:
> I'm preparing to install an IDE 45gb hard drive on a RH6.1 system.  It's
> not a primary drive, and will mainly be used for extra storage of
> documents.  I have a few elementary questions:
>
> 1) Other than making sure IDE support is compiled into the kernel, what
> steps do I need to take to prepare for installing this device?

Hmm...I can't really think of any, except make sure that the
master/slave jumpers are set correctly, of course. :-)

> 2) What steps are necessary to get it properly
> formatted for Linux?

Probably need to be in single-user mode (or at least it'll definitely
be easier as single-user mode.) Then, run fdisk /dev/hdX (where X is
the disk letter -- a is your primary IDE, b is your secondary IDE,
etc.) Then partition as normal. Once partitioning is done, run mke2fs
/dev/hdxy (where, again, x is the drive letter and y is the partition
number.) I would suggest making the entire drive an extended
partition and making any "logical" partitions inside the extended
drive.

> 3) Would it be okay to devote the entire 45gb to one partition, or will
> it be necessary to divide it into numerous partitions?  If I need to
> create more than one partition, how big should they be?

I don't see why it would be a problem. AFAIK, linux can see IDE
drives that big whether or not BIOS will see them.

> 4) Also, I have a 4.5gb SCSI drive which currently mounts as /data on
> /dev/sdb1.  Once I get the 45gb drive installed, all of the data on
> /data will be moved to the new drive, leaving /dev/sdb1 unoccupied.  How
> do I go about (a) deleting the partition and (b) redefining it as /www?
> Basically, I'm wanting to move all webserver-related files to this one
> drive.

That's easy, just create a directory on your / partition called "www"
and change the mount poing from /data to /www in your /etc/fstab.
Then, despite the fact that it's not really NECESSARY to do so in
linux, I'd reboot and you *should* be good to go.
        John