I've been told by a few people that if I pay $799 for a set of
RHAS CD's that I am not allowed to install it on more than one
machine.

Last time I checked anaconda and RPM are GPL'd,
as are the overwhelming majority of the software packages
on the RHAS CD's....

So my question is, how might it be illegal to copy
everything **EXCEPT** the commercial software RPM's from
the RHAS CD's and then make copies of the resulting subset?

----

Also, I've been told that Redhat is making Source RPM's available
for patches and updates for their Advanced Server.  So if you wanted
to download the SRPM's and compile them yourself you are free to do
so.  And then of course (being GPL'd material) they would be
free to redistribute. That makes sense.  I'd even understand if
RedHat put the FTP site on a 56Kb/s modem. ( ha ha )

But, if I had one licensed server and were downloading binary packages
legitimately...  How could it possibly be illegal to copy and
redistribute those binary RPM's if they are OpenSourced software based
packages?

----

I have asked several RedHat employees (sales and tech support)
and either they just don't seem to "get" the question, or they are
purposefully dancing around the subject.  I decided after asking the
question 3 or 4 times and not getting anywhere that I was beating a
dead horse.  RedHat won't tell me that it is illegal or forbidden,
but they also won't say tell me that I *AM* allowed to do so.

Isn't one of the concepts of the GPL, that when the software is
distributed the user has to be made aware that it is Free to be
copied and modified so long as the GPL is maintained?

If RedHat is just selling FTP access to pre-compiled binaries for
$799 per year per server, I understand that.  But they don't seem
to be able to tell me exactly what the $799 price tag is for.

What I don't understand is how they can restrict further redistribution
of bundled open source applications?  I thought that this was
**PATENTLY** against the GPL?  And even insinuating that it is
forbidden would be **PATENTLY** against the GPL, right?

I'm not pointing fingers or making accusations, I'm just trying
to understand what is going on here and want to see what others
thoughts are?