----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Schwendt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: Open Source Licensed RHAS, licenses?

> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:00:20 +0400, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
>
> > According to www.redha.com/licenses
> > you can copy RH AS and do as much installation as you want.
>
> Where exactly is that written?

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/advancedservereula.html

<quote>
EULA that permits you to copy, modify, and redistribute the software, in
both source code and binary code forms.
</quote>

>     [...] The term "Installed Servers" means the number of servers
>     on which Customer installs Red Hat Linux Advanced Server. The
>     initial number of Installed Servers is the number of copies of
>     Advanced Server that Customer purchases. [...]
>
> Also see paragraph "5. AUDIT" with regard to an underreported number
> of "Installed Servers".
>
> How would you install more than one server with only one licenced
> copy of the install CDs?

Please, don't mix EULA and Service Agreement ;-)

> Parts of this thread resemble the "free speech vs. free beer"
> debate.

May be. I didn't read full thread.
I'd like to discuss something else.
I agree that I have to pay for support, but I can't understand why I shoul
pay
per server for binary updates! This is completely stupid, just because there
is no
difference is service! I'll download this updates once and apply them to all
our servers. Why I need to pay for each server? I can't understand, sorry.
btw, as I pointed before, I can buy one copy for one firm and use binary
updates
to others just because this is allowed by GPL and RH EULA, so this makes
Service
Agreement very stupid thing ;-)
But, anyway, I'll not feel comfortable, just because I don't like to see
that my
software vendor is sooo naive  :-)
So, if RH will change it's draconian Service Agreement to one I can accept
(i.e. paying for service as for service, not per server) I'll buy RH AS for
our SAP R/3 servers when we'll decide to upgrade our SLES7 to something
else.