On Thursday 02 January 2003 06:33 pm, Ben Russo wrote:
> I've been told by a few people that if I pay $799 for a set of
> RHAS CD's that I am not allowed to install it on more than one
> machine.

Well, they do appear to say that you are expected to pay for each
installation. I'm not clear if this is per installed machine, or per
"supported installed machine". The purchase price is for the product and
support package as a whole. See:
http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhlas_us.html

A. General Terms and Conditions of Service

A4. REPORTING AND AUDIT.

and

The GPL is discussed under
B3: END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

Also see:
http://www.redhat.com/licenses/advancedservereula.html

> Last time I checked anaconda and RPM are GPL'd,
> as are the overwhelming majority of the software packages
> on the RHAS CD's....
>
> So my question is, how might it be illegal to copy
> everything **EXCEPT** the commercial software RPM's from
> the RHAS CD's and then make copies of the resulting subset?

I don't see any violation of the GPL in the following statement from the
second link above:

GENERAL

As used herein, “EULA” means an end user license agreement, and "Software
Programs" means, collectively, the Linux Programs, as defined herein.

Red Hat Linux is a modular operating system made up of hundreds of
individual software components, each of which was individually written
and copyrighted. Each component has its own applicable EULA. The EULAs
are located in the source code provided with the product. Throughout this
document the components are referred to, individually and collectively,
as the "Linux Programs." Most of the Linux Programs are licensed pursuant
to a Linux EULA that permits you to copy, modify, and redistribute the
software, in both source code and binary code forms. Review these Linux
EULAs carefully, in order to understand your rights under them and to
realize the maximum benefits available to you with Red Hat Linux. Nothing
in this license agreement limits your rights under, or grants you rights
that supersede, the terms of any applicable Linux EULA.

The distribution also includes the IBM® Java Development Kit ("JDK"),
which is software licensed to you from IBM Corporation, hereinafter, the
"IBM Programs". For the precise terms of the license to you for these IBM
programs, please check the on-line documentation that accompanies them or
review the license at http://www.redhat.com/licenses/. If you do not
agree to abide by the applicable license terms for these IBM Programs,
then do not install them on your computer. If you wish to install these
IBM programs on more than one computer, please contact IBM to purchase
additional licenses.

Red Hat Linux itself is a collective work under U.S. Copyright Law. Red
Hat grants you a license in this collective work pursuant to the GNU
General Public License.

- --
- -Michael

- --