On 25-Jan-2003/10:33 -0500, Billy Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tony:
>
>We are up and running!!!  Thanks for your help and patience.  I have several
>last questions:
>
>1. When I originally set up the new .desktop file, I specified a quick test
>icon.  When I later edited the file from 'Icon=zoom.png' to
>'Icon=parts.png', the old icon continues to display on the desktop.  How do
>I change it?

There may be an elegant way, but I generally delete and recreate the
.desktop file.

>2. The text window that displays my application is a fixed size that is
>almost too small to read.  I have a 15" Monitor, set to 800x600x24m colors.
>The text window size is 8"x5.5".   If  I click on the full screen button,
>the window fills the screen, but the text size is the same and still fits in
>an 8"x5.5" area.  Is there a way to make the text larger?

To change the font size on the fly, right-click on the window and select
Preferences. I usually use this feature to select a font, then I hard-code
the font selection and window size into the .desktop file using the --font
and --geometry command line options.

>3. When I went to add the .desktop file to my other users, I found that
>there was no .gnome-desktop directory (or any other gnome directories) in
>their home directories.  Why is that, and how can I add them?

They have to login GNOME once to create the ~/.gnome-desktop dir. You can
login as root, switch to that user and create it yourself.

 # su - someuser
 $ mkdir .gnome-desktop
 $ cp /home/baseuser/parts.desktop ~/.gnome-desktop/
 $ exit

>4. Where can I find documentation or man pages on the valid settings for the
>.desktop file, and the valid colors?

The source code ;-)   This info may be documented somewhere, but I've
never have much reason to do looking for it.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E>
OpenPGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D