Hi,

> > It troubles me that you think you have to do this to migrate from one
> > mail server to another though. There should be a transparent way to
> > migrate your users, but its hard to say without knowing what exactly you
> > are trying to do.
>
> I am migrating a system where the mail accounts are system accounts with
> the password stored in /etc/shadow hence one way hashed.
>
> The target system will be virtual users authenticating from a MySQL
> backend so I need to know the passwords to load the MySQL server tables.

If you have control of the database format you may want enter clear text
in using the MD5() function, then just enter the current MD5's that you
have in the /etc/shadow file as plain text since they are already
hashed.

As somebody mentioned earlier, what if your users don't check their mail
while you are sniffing the traffic?
What I did when I needed to do a similar thing was instead of sniffing, just used the program "John the Ripper" available at http://www.openwall.com/john/

Just run this thing against your shadow passwords file, and depending on how fast your system is, you get the passwords cracked anywhere from 10mins to a week.

Michael.