On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:18:34 -0600
"Blackard, Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I use Cygwin/XFree86 and ssh  on a Windows XP box to access a RedHat
> 8.0 machine remotely.  I am able to log in and start KDesktop, but I
> can't get access to the menu (bottom of the screen with the popup
> that lets me start applications).  I think the problem has to do
> with the title bars on both the X server window and the KDesktop
> window within that window - basically I'm loosing something like 42+
> pixels and can't get to the menu using the mouse.
>

> I've tried various settings for the KDesktop -geometry option but
> I'm shooting in the dark since I can't find the syntax for
> <geometry> specified anywhere.  Can anyone be of assistance?

  You may be able to edit your ~/.kde/share/config/kpanelrc file, and
change 'Position=bottom' to 'Position=right' in the [kpanel] section
of the remote machine. The 'Start' button is part of the Kpanel. By
default, it is placed at the bottom. This should move it along the
right side of the Desktop, and make to available to the mouse at the
next session.
  If that works, make sure you 'save settings' when you log out of
KDE.
  As an alternative, you might run 'xvidtune' on the remote system,
and try to make the remote display smaller. In KDE, do:

               <ALT><F2> and then xvidtune.

                                                Regards,

                                                  Tom