On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> Hmm.. swap is 512 MB (twice the RAM), which I thought was OK. But
> thanks. I just want to make sure that nothing 'weirds" are going on with
> my machine.

Doesn't matter how much (or little) swap you have. What matters is how
much free memory you have, including swap. If you run out, you run out.
There's no magic number.

Take a look at top or procinfo. If you're close to maxing out your swap
space, you have issues. Either add more RAM, more swap, or limit your
memory consumption (e.g. run xfce instead of kde, or pine instead of
Evolution).

You can add a swap file instead of a new swap partition if you can't
reallocate your partitions. Read the mkswap man page for instructions on
creating a swap file inside an existing file system.

--
"Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"