On Saturday 08 February 2003 12:07 pm, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 14:36, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > > Hmm.. swap is 512 MB (twice the RAM), which I thought was OK. But
> > > thanks. I just want to make sure that nothing 'weirds" are going on
> > > with my machine.

<snip>
> > Take a look at top or procinfo. If you're close to maxing out your swap
> > space, you have issues. Either add more RAM, more swap, or limit your
> > memory consumption (e.g. run xfce instead of kde, or pine instead of
> > Evolution).

<snip>

> While I am not as extreme as my esteemed college to suggest you run pine
> or xfce, I will suggest that you kill Mozilla if it's running.  I
> recently had a bad dimm so I went from 320M to 256M of ram, since then I
> have had Evolution killed several times by the OOM Killer. [Terminator
> of backward cattle.=) ]  I just shutdown mozilla, or restart it
> frequently and that solved my problem.
>
> I recommendation is get more memory.  It is pretty cheap, you can by
> 256M of PC2100 DDR for about 70.00 now, or at least, I can.  Look about
> the country side.

Thanks for the tips.
I infact runs fvwm as win manager. In general, I've never had any trouble with
kernel out of memory. It was just that one instance during deleting big IMAP
e-mail with Kmail that I saw that message. I guess I was just surprised that
it start killing other processes, seemingly at random, while running out of
memory. I heard also that Kmail IMAP support is not that great, so that could
be part of the problem.

-RDB

/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML
\ /  email and proprietary format